12: Steady Spiral

12: Steady Spiral

Midterms are in less than three weeks and Teagan has realized more and more that she is less and less prepared.

Her nightmare has become obscure.

She can't remember it after she wakes up anymore. It's as if something is playing with her mind. Inducing her with all the terror and fear and taking away the image of what had scared her so ruthlessly. She doesn't see the golden dragon at night any more.

It appears in the day, when she's trying to study, when she's eating, when she's talking to Lila.

It flashes in her mind hard and fast for a soul sucking second and blurs her reality, taking away seconds from the real world and obscuring it with an image that isn't there. Her migraines are getting worse at random moments of the day and she's becoming more aware of the whispers of her classmates.

The rumors are getting worse.

People look at her as if she's a sick person now. They avoid her vicinity and can't understand why Lila and Chrys are  still involving themselves with her. Thad's become extremely busy as of late and Teagan's not even certain he knows that Lila's speaking to her again.

She plans on speaking with him during practice today which is where she's headed.

She's pulls at her leather gloves and tightens her vest around her waist as she walks across the court yard, The cold months are waning, Teagan finds herself wishing for snow instead of the cold grey that happens every year. Spring is crawling in and Teagan wonders how most of the year is already over.

She can hardly remember where it went.

She stops at the door of the stable and reaches for her riding harness. She freezes as her reflection comes into view. The mirror over the rein hook startles her. It hadn't been there before had it?

She fears her reflection.

It grins viciously back at her for one shape horrible mind prickling moment. Teagan shudders away and squeezes her eyes shut. She opens them after ten dreadful seconds.

Her own eyes and gaunt expression look back at her. She finds relief in her horrific appearance. She's going mad and that's... That's less comforting.

With a shaky breath she goes to get Lyra.

"Hello girl, how are you? I've missed you these days." She reaches for her favorite Pegasus.

Lyra shies  away for one awful moment and Teagan's heart cracks a little at the realization that Lyra can probably sense something wrong with her aura.

"I'm not going to hurt you girl. I'm not..." She swallows thickly, refusing to feel pitiful. So her Pegasus is looking at her suspiciously, so what? It shouldn't hurt this much, as if she's a person or some such.

But it does.

And Teagan suddenly wishes she could drown in the darkness that was probably eating her aura. It must be fractured again or something.... Perhaps she should ask Headmistress to check... But then she'd know what was wrong and Teagan would still be left in the dark. Also, she's not sure what to think about Headmistress and her lack of forwardness yet.

She's not sure she should trust anyone.

Maybe that's why Lyra wasn't trusting her at the moment.

The winged beast gives her a sudden nudge and Teagan feels the warm tears threaten to spill as she hugs Lyras head. "Sorry girl. I'm Sorry. Thank you for giving me another chance." She refuses to accept the strange tingle in her mind that's telling her Lyra finds her unworthy in the first place.