2: Reunions of Pleasant and Unpleasant Kinds

FOR THE 300 FOLLOWS! Thanks so much for the follows and support! I appreciate it so much!

"Time to go." Teagan waves at her parents as her mother pulls her in for one more teary hug.

"Take care of yourself dear, and remember to eat well, you lost so much weight last year." Alice whispers in Teagan's hair.

Teagan nods obediently and pulls away, her father smiles at her again and pulls his hand our from behind his back, a soft cloth covered rectangle in them.

"What's that?" Teagan asks as her eyes widen in curiosity.

"A Monicroff heirloom. It's been passed down for hundreds of years to all Monicroff, including myself. Now it's your turn Teagan." Her father smiles at her, his eyes crinkling with pride as he hands her the wrapped rectangle.

Teagan opens it hurriedly, peeling back the soft cloth to reveal a book. It's worn so thin on some edges its pale, the entire thing is leather bound and heavy. The pages nearly black from age. Teagan opens it. It's blank.

She gives her father a confused look, unsure how she should react to this.

He finds this amusing. "You didn't think all our recorded history would be there for just anyone to read, did you?" He puts his hand on the book. "Revealto." He whispers secretively.

The book trembles in Teagan's hands and she gasps as the words start appearing on the page.

"Entries of our ancestors, how they lived and their stories. Each one great. Each one worthy of being told. Now -" he looks Teagan in her matching eyes. "It's your turn to record yours."

Teagan suddenly feels the weight of his words in her stomach as she takes in a deep breath. "I -" this was a huge honor. To be given the chronicles of the Monicroff's of old. . . She doesn't think she could handle the responsibility.

"I know you'll do something great Teagan. We felt it when you were born. Monicroff or no - your story will be one that's worth telling." Her father taps her chin gently and she smiles at him, hugging the soft worn family heirloom to her chest.

"Thank you, Father, I'll take good care of it. I promise."

He nods.

Teagan suddenly feels as if she doesn't want them to go. Feels as if, until she sees them again. . . She might not. The thought scares her and is completely unfounded. So she doesn't voice them. Instead she gives them one last hug and follows the dwindling crowds inside the castle.

"Good bye, Father, Mum." She waves as the bridge goes up.

Her parents wave back, her mother tearfully, her father with an appreciative pride in his eyes.

Then the gate closes. And Teagan lets out a sigh realizing this would be the last she sees her parents physically for a long while to come.

She turns with the group and makes her way inside, ready to start another year at Ridgemoor Acadamy.

~

~

~

"Teagan!"

"Lila!"

The girls squeal like banshees and rush into each other's arms, hugging as if they each had come back from the dead.

"Gross."

Teagan laughs as Lila throws her cousin an unimpressed look. Thad grins at her cheekily and takes his hand out for Teagan to shake. He got tall too. . . It's as if all the boys from last year somehow caught up and shot a foot or two in the air. Teagan tries not to feel small about it.