6: Morrow

"Good girl Lyra, you did well today." Teagan gasps breathlessly as she leans against Lyra's neck, patting her comfortingly.

She's been outside every day this week - the air gets colder as the days go by and Teagan has to wear a sweater by this point.

She's tired, and hungry, and a little bit dizzy from all the loops she's been practicing, but she feels the warm glow of accomplishment as she lands on the solid ground. Her legs still wobble from the change in altitude and she feels a stiff, her head is still floating, but it's nice as she leads Lyra back into her warm corner.

Teagan pats her Pegasus one more time and waves at Rumbus as she leaves for the afternoon. Potions class will be starting in half an hour and Core has been extra tense this month.

Teagan enters the castle grounds as she peels off her gloves, heading toward her room. Things seem rather peaceful of late.

Except for that explosion in potions class last week - Teagan was sure she hadn't put more than three drops of fire root - and why does everything have to explode in her face?

The dream still comes regularly though, but she hasn't passed out in the day time for some time - she counts that as a win. She's forgotten about the picture in her artifacts book - her mind is too focused on studies and practicing to beat Scarrow.

That, and her journal.

She still doesn't know what she's going to write in it, if she's going to write anything at all - it's making her feel uncomfortably insignificant.

Teagan reaches for her door handle.

She misses, and gasps - her brain fuzzes instantly and the image of the door with the dragon above it appears in place of her door. Teagan wobbles on her feet, braces herself against the frame and shakes her head.

What is this?

"Teagan?"

The red haired girl looks up to see Lila's questioning face. Teagan lets out a small shaky breath and smiles. "I'm fine Lila - just a bit dizzy, been out practicing with Lyra all morning." She assures her friend - that's a lie . . . and you know it.

Teagan ignores herself.

Lila nods and opens the door for them.

Teagan signs and looks around, suddenly getting the strange feeling she's being watched. She shudders in the empty space of the foyer and walks into her room, closing the door firmly behind her.

~

'

'

'

'

Winter Solstice, End Year of the Dragon

The elder of the North is terribly ill.

It's a horrible situation. He has expressed a deep regret that he does not have anything that would assist our problems with the Naturals. He says it is the way of fates hand. There is nothing we can do to stop the oncoming horror that rises before us.

I had hope - until I heard those words.

There is no more hope. There will be a war. And there is nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Lord help us all.

I will be returning home tomorrow. I've gotten word that the king seems to be inclined to take action against the Naturals. I can only assume Malcolm Scarrow has something to do with it and it pains me to think ill of my closes friend.