--------

"We should at least tell Thad." Lila says as they walk to their charms and curses class.

Teagan had a long and painful night trying not to fall asleep; Lila had agreed not to tell the teachers or anyone for now until they discover what is going on.

And now she wants to bring Thad in to this.

"I don't think we should." Teagan feels as if Thad will probably be more difficult to convince to keep this from the Headmistress.

Lila sees her worry in her eyes. "Thad might want to Tea, but he won't tell... "

"He won't tell about what?"

The girls gasp and startle, whirling around to see Chrys standing there, eyes wide as always and calm as usual, she smiles at them kindly and proceeds to eat her lettuce leaf?

"Um... Nothing.... Nothing at all." Lila says when Teagan doesn't answer.

Chrys nods nonchalant as ever and proceeds to walk with them, obviously not noticing the awkward silence they were excluding.

"You know, I came across an interesting potion the other day." She says finally in the silence as they maneuver around the packed foyer, students were busy trying to get to their classes this morning, midterms were coming up and Teagan realizes only when she sees someone with an exam study sheet pass by that she hasn't studies at all.

Scarrow might win this one.

But she doesn't want to think about him at this crucial moment.

"What was so interesting about it?" Lila asks, clearly exasperated when Chrys doesn't continue.

"Oh." The girl smiles, seemingly coming to herself as if she'd just woken up. "It was to find lost things."

Teagan raises her eyes brows at the girl. "Find lost things?" She's never heard of a potion like that.

Chrys nods. "The recipe is very old and very complex, but you're supposed to drink it and find the thing you most want to find, no matter where it is, you'll find it."

That sounds highly interesting... But Teagan doesn't know what she would use it - she stops, Lila pauses next to her, Chrys only stops a few steps ahead, she turns to look inquisitively at the two girls, Lila looks at Teagan in question.

"What's wrong?"

Lost things? Anything? Perhaps the golden dragons head?

"You said anything correct?"

Chrys nods.

"Even ancient things that might not exist anymore?" Teagan suddenly has the idea that finding the golden dragon head might help her find the source of the dark Mage. . . Then she might be able to destroy it.

"I suppose, but like I said, the recipient is very old and difficult." Chrys smiles brightly as if an idea just came to her. "I believe I should like to try to make it. Dr. Core seems to find my lack of motivation for his class rules grounds to fail me." She looks at them now, "I think I should make a real poison for him just to prove him wrong but-"

Teagan stares at her, as does Lila.

"Don't worry nothing to kill him. Just something to give him a scare. But making this nearly impossible potion sounds like a better idea.," Chrys continues with a small bounce on her heels.

"Why nearly impossible?" Lila asks, she seems rather uneasy at the moment.

"Oh, because no one has made it since the Mage masters three centuries ago, the ones who specialize in brewery and concocting." Chrys explains a she starts fidgeting in her bag and pulls out a heavy book with a claw clasping it shut. "I think I'm a decedent of one. But that's just theory. Oh look, I found Elman." She pulls out a scaly green lizard with a spotted back.

Lila hides behind Teagan, she wasn't friendly with small crawly creatures.

"Say helps Elman. . . He says hellos." Chrysler says roundly as she puts the lizard back in her bag. "He's a very polite newt. Saved him from becoming an ingredient in someone's potion last summer. He tends to show up at random times though, never know where I'll find him. Found him in my sock drawer last time."

Teagan sighs. "About the potion?" She's beginning to think her idea is more and more farfetched.

"Oh, here it is." Chrys hands the heavy book to Teagan. "You can read it. Bring it back when you're done." And she skips off to their charms class.

Teagan sighs and ticks the book in her sachet.

"What do you want the potion for?" Lila asks suddenly, obviously catching on.

Teagan shrugs. "It probably won't work."

"But if it did?" Lila wasn't letting this go without a fight.

"I'd find the golden dragon head from my dream." She says flatly.

Lila gasps as they slip into charms and curses class, Ms, Shanks already busy drawing her lesson on the board.

"Why on earth Teagan - that's obviously where you shouldn't go." She hisses at her as they slide into their seats.

Teagan shakes her head, she figures Lila wouldn't understand. "Because... Because I want to find it and end this hold he has over my mind. I'm sick of it... It's- it's killing me Lila. It really is. But I'm not going to die because. . . Because he doesn't want me to, not yet. He needs me for something and I - I think we should stop him before he gets it."

Lila looks at her, long and hard. She must see the determination in Teagan's eyes because she deflates and turns to her desk. "We'll discuss this later." She whispers back.

Teagan believes they will. Regardless if she wants to or not.

----

Summer Solstice, first half. Year of the Dragon.

I have not recounted events in some time, it felt quite indecent to stop and breath and write, so I have not.

The court is weakening. At the End of spring Solstice we lost two of our comrades in war. Scarrow has come back from the south, it's been burned into his face, the Naturals pushed us back and no one understands how they are winning.

I fear them now. And I wonder.... Is this what they felt living with us and our abilities for so long? It must be, and it's a dreadful feeling. It could drive you mad, this choking fear, it could warp into something dark and deadly.

It has. For them.

Malcolm suspects something, he will not say what. But I feel something akin to distrust when he looks at me and it pains me deeply. He's been gone for months and I was happy to see him... Until he'd passed me without so much as a glance, when I spoke to him there was a dark haunted suspicious look in his eyes and I cannot help but feel it is for me.

But I have done nothing wrong. Aside from show sympathy to both sides when the occasion arises. I cannot find myself to be completely and utterly apathetic to the naturals as my kind seem to be. They would rather look upon naturals as monsters wholeheartedly created to hate and destroy.

But I saw them before the fear formed into something hideous.

I saw them as I see us. People, families, lovers, they feel sadness as we do, and pain and happiness.

They feel their losses of this war as we do. And they will for generations as we will.

But most are content with filling their souls with hate. Hate for those not like them. Hate so they will numb themselves to their own pain. Hate so they can ease their burden onto something else.

Just like we do.

Harden is also a concern. His rage fits get steadily worse and more unpredictable every day. I found him lost in the cold Alps in ten miles north the last time he disappeared, he speaks in a language I've never heard and his eyes, I can hardly look at them without seeing the hint of dark insanity. I am starting to fear what he is becoming.

I believe I need help, his aura feels broken.

I must go now, someone is screaming in the dining hall.

Magnus Monicroff