Chapter Fifty-Three

Start from the beginning

"What the hell? Don't put that damn gun out of her face, you bastard!" I heard Rin shout. Lightning gestured with the gun, and I backed up, trying to get away from the fun being shoved in my face.

"I would suggest you remain quiet, spawn of satan," I heard Angel snap. I heard Rin grumble something unintelligible under his breath before there was a bang, the sound of metal on flesh followed by a cry of pain. It sounded like Angel had hit Rin in the side of the head with either of the pommel of a sword or the flat of the blade.

Once we had reached the center of the room, Lightning put the gun down, shoving it in his waistband before grabbing my arm and spinning me around. I found Rin on the floor, holding his head in his hands. He didn't seem to be seriously injured, and I knew he would heal quickly, but he was still very obviously in pain.

"What do you want?" I growled, looking at Lightning then Angel and back again. "Why the hell are you here, and where is Shura?" I asked, looking around for the teacher, just in case I had overlooked her in my fear. I think it was more I was hoping she was there to help me, to save me, to do something, anything.

"Oh please, Miss Kirigakure is fine; she's on a mission," Angel explained as he absentmindedly inspected the ends of his long, golden hair. "We just had to remove her from the picture for the time being." He looked up at me. "Oh, don't worry, she'll be fine. She's completely safe. She can handle herself," he reminded me. I knew she could. It wasn't her I was worried about. Like Angel had said; she could handle herself. I was worried about why they had to remove her from the picture. After Lightning had nearly stabbed me in the throat with a sword during training, I knew none of this was going to go well. I mean, Lightning had already pulled a gun on me, and I could tell just b the look in his eyes that was very willing to go further than that.

"We just want to ask you a few questions, Miss (L/N)," Angel said, his voice calm, but I could still hear the underlying malice. "Who are you working with?" Angel asked, his blade suddenly being raised to be pointed at my throat. Angel started to circle, and I had no choice to put Lightning between myself and Rin. I growled, realizing they had separated us as much as possible. I knew they would use Rin against me.

"Who am I working with?" I asked, confused. "I'm working with you to try and catch Isihda," I said. "We've been over this," I growled.

"I'll ask again; who are you working with, (Y/N)?" Angel pressed, inching closer to me, taking slow, measured steps. "Is it Ishida?" he asked. Has it been him this entire time, hmm?" he asked. "Or is someone else?" The sword was now just under my chin. "Because, you know Miss (Y/N), if your lying to us, it would be considered treason against the Order, against the Vatican," he said, stalking around me in a circle. This was like a game to him. He was the hunter, and I was his prey. This was fun for him. "Just tell me the truth, my dear girl," the paladin said, his voice sultry sweet. It was sickening.

"Well, (Y/N)?" he pushed. I just stared at him, at a loss of what to do. He was convinced that I was working against him, and I wasn't sure that there was anything I could say or do to change his mind.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said truthfully. "I've only been working with you and the rest of the Order." I tried to keep my words completely honest so they couldn't use anything against me in the future. Angel snapped his fingers and it was followed by a familiar click. There was then the sound of struggling, and I turned to see Lightning kneeling next to Rin, his forearm against my best friend's throat, the muzzle of the gun pressed against the boy's temple. I knew Rin could take a hit. With the blood of satan running through his veins, I knew he could take a hit, but there was no way he could take a bullet to the temple. There was just no way.

"Don't touch him," I growled. With my growing anger, I could feel the call of Katsuro and Kitiara pulling on me. I shoved the feeling down, knowing if I summoned them I would be taken in for treason. "You can do whatever you want to me, but don't touch him." I was on the verge of tears, and I was becoming desperate. I was desperate to save Rin. This was my battle to fight. He shouldn't be caught up in his hurricane of a mess. This wasn't his problem.

"What did I tell you, Angel?" Lightning said. There was a smirk on the man's face. It was sick and sadistic. "She doesn't give a damn about herself, but she'll do anything to protect the ones she loves. Very valiant of you, Miss (L/N)." I sneered at the man, angry and upset that he had figured me out so quickly.

"Don't you touch him," I repeated. "Don't you dare touch him, I swear," I threatened. "Or I'll-" I started before Angel cut me off.

"Or you'll what, Miss (L/N)?" he asked. "You can't threaten me. It'll be seen as treason, and I can immediately take you in," he reminded me. I clenched my fists tightly. I was stuck. There was nothing I could do. "I'll ask you once more. Who are you working with?" he asked firmly. I heard Rin whimper as the gun was pressed further into his temple, one of the most sensitive places on the human body. Lightning pulled the hammer of the gun back, and I knew the gun was cocked and ready to fire.

It was almost as if everything was happening in slow motion. One second, I saw Lightning's finger near the trigger, and the next there was a bright flash of light. When I opened my eyes, having screwed them shut during the explosion of bright light, I found that Katsuro was standing in front of Lighting, the gun grasped tightly in his dark hand. Kitiara was also here, standing right in front of me, shielding me from Angel and his massive sword.

"(Y/N), are you alright?" Katsuro called to me, not tearing his eyes away from Lightning who was sitting on the ground looking up at the dark-skinned demon in awe as well as fear.

"I'm fine," I called, my voice shaky. My hands were shaking with the threat of my best friend and older brother figure almost dying. Tears were pricking at the corner of my eyes, and they were quick to spill down my face. "Is Rin okay?" I asked, my voice shaking with wet sobs.

"I'm fine, (Y/N)," Rin said. "I promise." I nodded, knowing he was telling the truth, but there was another truth that I didn't want to face. I had just revealed Katsuro and Kitiara to the Palidain and his right hand. They now knew that I was lying right to their faces. They were without a doubt going to take me in and have me tried. There was no way I was getting out of this one.

"(Y/N)," I heard Katsuro say, his deep voice calm and steady, pulling me away from my thought. "Deep breaths," he instructed. "I need you to calm down and take a breath. Our connection is wavering," he informed me. Taking a few deep breaths, I regained my composure enough to take note of what was going on around me. I needed to keep a clear head to get out of this. "There you go, (Y/N). Now, we need to handle this calmly." He paused and glanced over at me. "(Y/N), what's going on? I thought you calmed down," he said, his voice tight.

I was suddenly very dizzy. It was like nothing I had ever felt before. Then came the pain. It was like every other migraine I had before; intense and unrelenting. A wave of vertigo washed over me, and suddenly I was staring up at the ceiling before my vision went dark.