Chapter 24: Lost Passion

It was a small gathering. With a few close friends attending. Raiza felt out of place the moment she stepped out of her car. She wasn't sure why she came. She hadn't heard from Gyan for 3 days, absolute silence, and then a long message detailing how he had been by his best friend's side helping her deal with Usra's accident.

"How is she now?" Raiza had replied with a question. He immediately called and the first thing he spoke after a 'Hello" was "She is conscious" in a weary tone. He sighed, and after a few moments of silence as neither grasped what to say, he simply closed his eyes "Will you forgive me?" he asked.

"Forgive you?" she urged.

"Yes" was his mere reply.

"For what? " she questioned.

"Ignoring you" he confessed. "I could have obtained a moment alone to call you but I didn't. I couldn't think of anything at that moment but my friend's necessities. She was so vulnerable Raiza, I couldn't see her so.... So... Shattered" he concluded.

Raiza groaned, she had been a little irritated with his silence but she had not messaged him either. She had focused on work and forced her mind to think of her work tasks. She remembered to buy stuff she had forgotten to buy long back. She finished her entire week's work and some more. She had gone shopping, met friends she had known for a long time and meet friends she had forgotten.

"I understand," she spoke plainly.

"Can I take you out for dinner tonight?" He had requested "I want to make up for my inattentive conduct" he sounded low on energy like he was in pain.

"Are you alright?" She asked discerning his fatigued tone.

He sighed "No" he replied after a long silence.

"You want to talk about it?" she asked tentatively. She knew they had not grown close enough to share personal feelings. But she couldn't help, his tone was so weak she wanted to comfort him rather than stay annoyed.

"It's the migraine, I presume I need to take my meds" he moaned.

"Sleep it off I will take you to my doctor for Ayurvedic treatment later in the evening" She declared authoritatively.

"Yes Maam" he replied in a military cadet tone.

She could picture him saluting in a uniform. "bye," she announced and hung up.

Gyan had abandoned the mobile close to him as he closed his eyes letting the migraine swell. That evening Raiza had gone to pick him up at his residence. He had messaged her his address later that day following an unpleasant nap. She had picked him up and drove him in reticence to the hospital. They waited in silence as he kneaded his migraine. He was grateful but also concerned regarding her mood. She didn't frown nor did she pout. She candidly acknowledged his pain and was attempting to help. When his turn to meet the doctor came he was relaxed. He met a pleasant gentleman who following a swift examination including a long list of inquiries declared to him that he can remedy the migraine. Gyan was provided with medicine and guidance to administer it. after which they left the doctor's residence.

Raiza drove him back to his apartment. Gyan had closed his eyes and drowsed during the drive. Once the car was parked in his basement Raiza softly nudged him.

"Gyan" She called his name.

He cracked his eyes and stared at her concerned face. then glanced about and rubbed his eyes.

"Why are we back?" he questioned.

She continued to stare in silence.

"I thought we were heading out for dinner" he sulked.

"Not today" she emphasised. "You need to rest and begin your therapy" she pointed to the bag of medicines.

He sighed "I will call you then" he suggested.

She smiled "Sure" came the reply.

After which he had taken the elevator and retreated to his studio. His migraine had dismissed his capacity to focus and he knew he was not a suitable company when in pain. So he was grateful for her understanding. The medicine had worked wonders over the next few days and he had for the first time in years felt comfortable. His head had begun to feel clear and sharp. So when Ara chose to invite her intimate friends to rejoice in Usra's recovery he asked Raiza to be his date. Even though she had accepted, she was uncertain about the evening.

Gyan and Raiza reached Ara's dinner at her Villa on the outskirts together. He took her hand in his and gazed at her delicate profile. "You look utterly gorgeous tonight" he praised her.

She gaped at him and beamed "I'm apprehensive" she conceded.

He caressed her chin, staring into her rich coffee-coloured eyes reassured her "Don't be I'm with you"

Raiza and Gyan were greeted by Ara at the entrance. Ara smiled at them and thanked Raiza for coming. She then guided them to the dinner table where the guests had started gathering already. She spotted Usra and walked up to her. Noticing Raiza, Usra's grin widened, she propelled her wheelchair and rolled closer to Raiza.

"I'm so glad you came," she announced. "I was about to call Gyan to check" she added.

Raiza flushed at the way Usra assumed she was accompanied by Gyan. Regarding the deep blush, Usra smiled. "Everyone here is aware that you guys are dating. Don't be so shy" she added.

Raiza smiled and nodded Maybe it is time I allowed myself to feel cherished and accepted. She thought. Usra pulled her out of her reverie by dragging her to the welcome drink counter.

"Have some Champagne" she directed handing a flute to Raiza.

"Thank you" she smiled receiving the champagne flute. The conversation shifted to the injuries on Usra's leg and her recuperation process. Immersed in the conversation neither witnessed Gyan walking up to them. He had met several friends, greeted them and had come looking for the one woman he wanted to hold in his arms. he appeared to pivot towards her as the firefly revolves around the fire.

"Can I steal her for a few minutes" he piped in shocking both ladies.

Usra smiled as Raiza stilled at his embrace. His hand was placed delicately on her lower back precariously sensual she imagined.

"She is all yours Gyan" declared Usra as she proceeded to greet someone new who had strolled in.

Gyan turned Raiza to face him. Her face flushed and her pulse raced, she was worried the whole world could hear her fluttering heart.

"looks like I alarmed you" He announced.

"I'm not used to physical familiarity" she blurted and then clasped her mouth shut with her hand.

He grasped her chin and lifted her face to meet his eyes "I appreciate every drop of the truth you spill. It's like a reward" he declared looking deep into her eyes. She dropped her hand from her mouth, her lips parted allowing a surprised sigh to escape. His eyes darted to her lovely lips leaving his mind void. The space between them kept diminishing as his face moved closer to hers. His thumb stroked her lower lips softly, exploring the delicate texture of it from one side to the other. A gasp escaped her lips that Gyan seized with his mouth. The moment their lips joined Raiza lost herself in the depths of passion she had neglected for a very long time.