Chapter 12 No charms

It was a beautiful evening Raiza was looking forward to going home and going for a long run. She needed to put her troubled mind to rest and what other way to do that than a long strenuous run? 

She completed her last email and was about to pack up for the day when her phone rang.  She looked at the caller ID it was Ara, she quickly answered praying it will not hold her back with a last-minute task.

"Hi Ara" she spoke softly

"Raiza book Taj for dinner, table for 4 tonight at 7 pm" she instructed.

Raiza quickly took down the instructions.

"It's casual please dress accordingly" she added

Raiza was silent for a moment before she asked: "May I have the guest names please?"

"Sure Gyan, Raiza, I and my plus 1" she stated. 

Raiza took a deep breath before replying "Anything else that needs to note?" she inquired.

"That's all for now" she replied before disconnecting the call.

Raiza wanted to throw the phone on the wall she was staring at the moment, but she decided otherwise.  "It's just a dinner let's get this over with" she consoled herself.  She quickly dialled for the receptionist "Hi Meghna I need you to complete a booking" she stated and gave the details.

"I will check in for the details in some time" she added and disconnected the call.  She sat back in her comfy chair and took a deep breath.  Remembering her plan she sighed. "That run has to wait I need to attend to the dinner today," she thought. "I'm going to make it easy and make it short, I'm going to drive the message home," she thought to herself.

She knew she had a few minutes before she had to rush back home and get prepared for dinner. She looked at her to-do list which was long and not moving. Her day had been occupied with the memories of her Siddharth. She sighed remembering the night she left him.

She had just returned from the doctor. Roina had dropped her back to the prison where Siddharth kept her locked up. Going out was a risk but she had to take that risk. She closed the door behind her hoping Siddharth was not back yet. She walked straight to her bedroom and locked the door behind her. She removed her jacket and the scarf stood in front of the mirror and studied herself.

Her eyes looked at her image moving from her hair down to her face then her neck where the bruises and bite marks from the previous night were clearly visible. Her husband called it making love but for her, it was buying time. To survive another day. Her eyes moved further down to her breast which appeared slightly swollen and sensitive. She sighed as her view moved further down to her stomach her eyes paused. Her hand moved involuntarily and touched her stomach softly. She took a deep breath and stared into her eyes, tears welled up and her head kept shaking.

"No" she spoke involuntarily as tears flooded her eyes and she let the dam break. She slid down to the floor and cried.

Raiza's thoughts were interrupted as the door to her office cabin opened noisily. She opened her eyes a little irritated "What now?" she questioned the intruder.

"You were not answering your phone I was trying to reach you" Meghan stuttered.

Realizing her error she softened her tone "Sorry I didn't realize. I guess I dozed off" she apologized. She looked at her watch delicately wrapped on her wrist.  "oh" she declared in shock "It's already 6" she stated and looked up to notice Meghna shuffling on her feet. 

"I was trying to reach you to inform you that I couldn't get a booking" she mumbled nervously.

"Why not?" Raiza questioned.

"They are full they said" she declared.

"Call them and put me online" she ordered.

A few minutes of explaining to the new relationship manager at Taj how important their business to Taj was, did the trick.  They had a booking and Raiza was on her way to the venue. Her nostalgia had stolen the time she needed to go back to her apartment for a change.  So she decided to head straight to the dinner.  She knew Ara isn't going to be happy but at that moment Raiza didn't care.

She arrived a few minutes before 7 pm which gave her the time to scout the private dining area and she was satisfied. Raiza made herself comfortable at the table and ordered red wine for herself.  She sat sipping the warm liquid that helped her relax.

"I didn't think you drank" Gyan commented.

A surprised Raiza looked up at the towering man that had disturbed her peaceful existence.

"I do, what I want? when I want to?" she retorted and then bit her tongue.

He sat opposite her a smile on his lips as he shrugged his shoulders.  Gyan noticed her change as her guard came up and she schooled her face to show no emotions.  He ignored the desire he felt to scoop her in his arms and wrap her in his warm embrace. 

"Where is Ara?" He asked changing the path his thoughts were moving on.

A shocked Raiza stared "Isn't she with you?" she asked.

He shook his head "Maybe she is held up" he stated with a smile.

Raiza stared at him in surprise. "no flirting, no sly comments," she thought "Is this your new charming technique?" she wondered. "How does it matter to me? Keep your head straight Raiza" she counselled herself.

"So do you think it would be wise of me to trust my new line of business to Dazzling Affairs?" he questioned.

She looked up to see if he was teasing her.  He was serious. "Does he really want to know my opinion?" she wondered.

"You will not find a better partner" she declared with pride "I'm not saying that as an employee but as someone who may want to buy your new line of merchandise in future" she added.

He raised an eyebrow "What difference can DA make to my customers?" he questioned.

"Well first of all your customers would want the ease of shopping online, at the same time would want the experience of shopping at a store. What better way than partner with us?  Which online store gives its shoppers a variety of choices, and size details, and is also ready to customize. We even go so far as sending a seamstress to the client location for needed modification" she blurted out and then paused. 

Gyan smiled "Now I know why Ara loves you" he admitted.  A shocked Raiza stared