"We are not over." The Defy fall

Two minutes have passed since the time given. Two dreadful long minutes.
Just as I was about to get up to go to restroom, all the telecom in the office started ringing.

I, Spencer and Kevin looked at each other and picked up our calls.

"This is going to be a one way interaction between me and rest of the Defy staff." a voice spoke at the other end of call. I immediately recognised it to be the owner's.

Ok, so its going to be a strict instruction. No option of fight back this time.

"I am aware that there have been rumors that the company is deep in debts and many of the divisions are already working without any funds.
We thought that firing excess staff, old staff and overpaid staff will help which is why there were massive layouts in the past."
I heard a deep sigh, a grief in the voice. I dont like it.
"But it did not help.
I am aware that this is sudden and unexpected, but it is how it is.
I am so sorry to inform that Defy media is being shut down."
What!
"All the divisions, staff, employees and workers are now free from their jobs and any agreement towards the company. Thank you so much for your services long or short. Sorry we couldn't continue this any longer.
Effective immediately, all of you are free from Defy.
I am sorry."

After a brief period of silence, the line was disconnected.
Shut down? Ended?
But we were doing so good.
We had good views this month.
Subscriber count was still going up.
What happened.

Before I could even keep my phone down, I heard Ian's step running.
He sprinted past our room, towards the office exit.
He has to know what will happen to us now that Defy is down.
Smosh is down.

TIME SKIP:
We were all in the staff area.
Some were on their desks, some on the tables and some were sitting on the floor. Small groups were talking among themselves, but most were silent.
Why wouldn't they be? It wasn't a question of money or even job. It was about Smosh, about this family and this brand, which is more than just jobs.
Is this how it ends? Is this how Smosh is going to dissolve?
No, it can't end now. I just came.
I can't loose this family now, I just found it.

I looked across and saw Courtney and Shayne hugging each other, sitting on the floor leaned up against a desk.
Mari, Joven and Lasercorn were talking. Olivia was talking to Matt, Sarah, Keith and Noah.
Tommy was sitting silent and so was Damien.
Damien.
He was looking blankly at the floor. His normally fidgeting hands were still and only his breathing assured me that he was alive.

In that moment, I wanted to go and wrap myself around him. Tell him that it is all going to he alright.
Tell him that this is not over.
But how could I tell him something I myself wasn't sure of.

Suddenly the door of the office opened and Ian came in, his steps less frequent than last I saw him.
Not running.
Not very enthusiastic of whatever answer he got.

Seeing him come in, many of the people stood up.
He paused, looked at us all and began
"So... Yeah, I talked to the... the authority.
I asked them what happens to Smosh? We were bound to them by a contract, but we were not defy." he said rubbing his nose with his index finger.
"So they told me that Smosh is now independent. Back to how it was before Defy." he said.

Back to how it was with two boys in a basement.

"I have taken the charge of all the channels."
"What will we do now?" somebody from the staff asked.

"We will put out content like we used to. I mean like me and Anthony used to. Defy is over, Smosh is not."

Smosh is not over.

My heart pounded faster listening to that.
I have been dying to hear that for so long now that I almost tear up.
Almost.
But same is not for some others.
From the corner of my eyes i caught Olivia wipe away a tear, so did Courtney.