Finding a family

The story is now taking place after one month skip. Courtney and y/n are well known besties now, though you both prefer being called sisters. Damien has returned to being normal but still you both dont talk to each other much ( we all know its hard for shy ppl😉). Defy continues to suppress Smosh and now you are seen as one of the Smosh people. There have been a series of massive layouts from the company but Smosh is untouched. Also, drop in the comments what you people want to see and also if you guys are liking it. It really makes my day😊.

Y/n pov:
I was sitting in the editors room. Thank God they made space for me here. It was getting awfully lonely there. Not that we will be talking much, but its good to have people around you. Moreover, Courtney can't always be here just because i am free only around her.
"It's really nice to have you here y/n, the communication with you was really getting tiresome there." Spencer said.
"Yeah, that was one of the reasons for re shifting here. Moreover there's AC here."
"Yeah, and also the restrooms are near as compared to that place." he added.
"Oh, that was never an issue. I never use these ones. They make me sick." I even pretended to be sick, you know just for comedic purpose. Thankfully they all laughed. I must say i am getting better at interactions here.

"Heeey y/n. Wassup girl! Ready for the party tonight." Courtney came in shouting.
"I thought it was a get together." Ian said.
It has been almost a month since I joined and Courtney wants to celebrate that with a small get together of me, her, Shayne, Damien and Ian. Its just nice to have her around, because that gives me a reason to get out of my home and meet people.
"My get togethers are as fun as parties." she said, flipping her hair to one side.
"Are we going to watch any movie?" I asked.
"Yeah."
"So shall i get the popcorn?"
"Only if it is caramel flavored." I saw a hint of glitter in her eyes. This girl loves caramel.
"Sure, why not." I said. She didn't have to remind me that. I knew it already.
I should probably ask the guys too.
"You guys want me to bring something?"
"Nah." Ian answered.
"Nope." Damien and Shayne answered simultaneusly.

Courtney's house:
"So what should we watch? Grownups or Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2?"
"GOTG2. of course." Ian told.
"Yeah baybeeeeee." Damien cheered.
He is such a kid. Although his day long stubble tells he is a man in every sense.
"Yeah, do it quickly. Its hard to keep my hand away from this delicious popcorn and coke." I teased her.
"Dare you touch MY popcorn."
When the movie ended, we all were in mood for dinner.
"Pizza everyone?" Ian asked everyone. Frankly, i was craving some calories.

"I feel bad for starlord, he had to kill his father dude." Courtney said.
"Of course you feel his pain. You love him." Shayne teased her. These two are like two kids in park. Always playing with each other.
"Hehe, yeaah. But seriously though, don't you guys feel bad."
"I cant co relate killing your father, bit loosing one is a pain i am familiar to." Damien said. I know it by now that he was pretty close to his father, and I could see a poorly hidden pain behind that statement.
I guess I wasn't alone. The room suddenly became quite.
"Losing someone close is really not something to talk about right now, but i want to continue this conversation." Ian said.
"You are so weird Ian." I said. I don't want them to know about my family life. It would just be too dark.
"No, its not. Actually, now that i think about it, you never really talk about your family. I know nothing about them." Courtney said.
I knew i should deny it, but I wanted to talk about them. Its dark past, but still... I want to talk about it.
"You sure. I am warning you, you guys will not look at me the same way again."
"What's the point in knowing someone's past if it does not change your perspective about them." Damien said. His voice had turned deeper, more convincing. I did not need any convincing, i was gonna do it anyway.
"Duuude, that was deep." Shayne said.
"You sure?" I confirmed once more.
I got a united yes in response.
Oh God. I can't believe I am doing this, willingly that too.
"Ok, so i never had a family."
I waited for a moment for them to respond, but their expression told me they needed more than that.
"I was a street child uptill an age of 6, after which i was taken in by an orphanage. I lived there uptill i was 12, after which i was adopted by a widow which is now my legal mother." I added.
Vivid scenes of childhood ran through my mind. Street, orphanage building, room, orphanage roommates, interview, interview, interview, interview, mom, interview, car, home.
"W.. what. Why didn't I know that?" Courtney brought me back.
"Cause i never told you." I said, trying best to hide my excitement about this conversation.
"That was precisely what her question was." Shayne too sounded angry.
What are they getting angry about?
"I didn't think it was necessary."
"And there i thought we were best friends." Courtney sounded pissed. Oops.
"Who all were there in your foster family then?" Ian asked.
"Just mum."
"Nobody else?" He reacted
"No. We had a cat. But no dad, no siblings."
I remembered the time when i and mum were the only one in the house, she my support and her. How we filled each other's empty lives.
My focus returned to present, and the group of mixed emotions in front of me.
Ian looked concerned, Shayne was clearly still processing, Courtney was pissed. She is not gonna be talking normally to me for quite some time now. Damien. Damien is a hard man to read, but he too had lost his guard now. His eyes, those hazel eyes just looked worried. They were more soft, more loving than i have ever known them to be. For a moment i thought they said 'it just makes me love you more' but i dont read eyes, so i am pretty sure i misread. They must have been saying 'oh you poor soul'. Everyone says that. They all "feel" my poor life. Fake.
The silence was just terrible now. I had to break it. Luckily Shayne did it.
"More pizza anyone?" He asked.
"So you became a l/n(last name) without even being one." Damien said.
Sad but true. "Yeah."
"I get THAT feeling. I mean, I am a smosh dad without even being one."
We all chuckled at that. Smosh dad.
"Yeah, and i am like your sister already." Courtney said cheerfully
Its not helping me, but it was good to see them trying to make me happy. Who knows, it might just work in future.
"Yeah, and since you let me have that last slice of pizza, you have been blessed with being a sister at the house of favourite pizza place." Shayne said, chest puffed up, and using his empty coke can to knight me.
How could I not bow down at that privilege.
My eyes turned to Damien. If this night was going to be about my welcome gifts, i wonder what would he give me.
" Oh, i am happy being a combined family butler and watch man." He said with an exaggerated British accent. Silly goof.

Next few minutes were spent talking about families of other Smosh people. An untouched topic for me. We all went home after that.
I think I will need some lone time to channel all that happiness. Its not about the statement, its all about the gesture that i received today. I dont need to call them with any designation. I know we are a family already.

Damien's pov:
Thank God I don't have to drive, Shayne's doing me a favour dropping me home. A much bigger favour than he sees it to be. I wouldn't have been able to drive with a clear mind after knowing all that.
It shouldn't bother me. It hardly involves me. But i still can't stop thinking how difficult it must have been for her.
"That was real smooth you know." Shayne broke the silence.
"What?"
"Butler- watch man thing. You know, smart way of saying i will protect you and look after you as no one." He said.
"Wh.. what?" I hate that he knows me so well. Its like he can read my mind.
"Shut up dude. We both know it."
"Humph. How did you figure it out?" I gave up trying to lie to him a long time ago. Its just useless.
"Sadly today. I had my doubts, but i confirmed it just right now." he smirked.
If he wasn't driving, i would have punched him.
"Why sadly?"
"Ok, you just saw me looking at Courtney and immediately knew i liked her. It still took me an entire month." he said.
Oh yes, our "bro secret".
"Umm, correction. You don't like her, you love her." I teased him. I think its just a practice now for me to correct him on this every time.
"Yeah, yeah whatever."

Back in my bed i could only think of one thing, that i have made a promise to her, and i intend to keep it.

Y/n pov:
The next day morning i had to drink 2 cups of coffee to keep myself awake. When I told mom about what happened yesterday at the get together, she finally gave up on the idea of trying to persuade me to come back home. I don't blame her, she obviously thinks i am alone and awkward in the city. I mean, that's my track record with new places. But LA is the best so far. I have a family here now.
I parked my car in the parking lot and headed to the elevator. I was admiring my new sneakers. Red and white with purple and blue stars. Who won't? But i got so lost in admiring them that i did not notice who i was in the elevator with. It was his clearing of throat that made me realize it was Jacob 'the dude' Evans.
I immediately felt my back tensing and grip getting stronger around my phone. This guy has got his own reflex in my system.
After a 2 second silence, he finally spoke "how's your work going on at Smosh, y/n?"
Should i tell him that his plan backfired? That would be such a blow in his face. Ultimate come back.
But he still is incharge of it. Until my position at Smosh is finalised, i cant take a risk to get shifted back. That would be disastrous. I shouldn't tell him the truth.
"Its ok." I said blandly.
" I see. But i cant do anything about it now. You see, my bosses think it's good that you are working there now. They think having you there gives them more authority over Smosh. So today you might receive a letter telling you that your position there as an editor is finalised."
I could see his devilish smirk now. He took a pause and said "congratulations y/n, you are officially a Smosh member now."

Oh my God. Did he just say that? I am a member of Smosh now. Officially.
The excitement of this news was too much. I immediately started laughing.
The elevator binged open suddenly. We were now on our floor.
"Jacob, now that you have given me this news, i have to tell you. I am loving my position at Smosh. The wall of misunderstanding that you thought was going to make my time at Smosh miserable fell many weeks ago, and they have accepted me as their own."
The shift in his expression told me he was struck bad.
"As a matter of fact, working with them is the reason I am not leaving LA. So thank you so much for doing that to me. Thanks for making me a part of Smosh. Thank you for giving me a family."
With this i stuck my hand between the open doors to stop them from closing and started walking out.
Wait, i can make this even cooler.
I turned back to him and said "oh, and don't go to the office with that face, people might think somebody rejected you again."
Saying this i turned again and started walking towards the Smoffice. I didn't turn back to see if he got out. I didn't care. I have never felt so good about being bad. Was i being bad? I don't care. An office that is 20 minutes walking from here is my future. And with my future so good, I don't even want to look at my past.
As i entered the office, i saw Damien standing on the other end of the corridor. He was wearing his glasses today. He looked at me and gave me a warm smile. He was then suddenly joined by Courtney, Shayne and Ian. Seeing them all together, brain storming on a script told me that my future isn't just good. Its gonna be amazing.