Nov 2019 - Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis

By: DerekSlatonAuthor

Review By: ESHurricane

Midlife Crisis follows the life of thirtysomething Dean, who is just trying to make his way in the world and, of course, find somebody to share it with. After renting a room in a house of college students ten years his junior, he learns more about partying and dating than he bargained for.

I found this book incredibly endearing. I also found it incredibly relatable, which is funny considering that I don't exactly have much in common with Dean. But putting myself at my age in his shoes, not knowing what to do with his life and trying to find love, it made me feel for him. Add in the incredible cast of characters surrounding him and it's easy to get lost in Dean's life, and feel like his friends are your own.

Where Midlife Crisis shines is the dialogue. The interactions between the characters are real and hilarious, and some of the arguments and debates they have are incredibly amusing and sometimes flirt with the line of disturbing, in the best way. And of course, watching Dean stumble through horrible date after horrible date is both cringeworthy and funny at the same time. I often found myself laughing at him and feeling badly for him at the same time, unable to stop from flipping to the next chapter.

Midlife Crisis updates every Tuesday! There are only a few chapters left to go, and trust me you don't want to miss them as they post. Head on over to Derek's profile to binge this romantic comedy, and check out our exclusive interview with him in our Interview Book here.