July 2018 - Finding Penny

REVIEW of "Finding Penny" by ShelleyBurbank 

A student reporter returns to her hometown, solves the mysterious disappearance of her friend Penny, and finds romance. The plot in a nutshell - but no way does it do justice to this gem of a cozy mystery. Beautifully written (and featured by Wattpad) "Finding Penny" is a charming and atmospheric small town murder mystery, featuring a cast of characters that are as realistic as they are engaging - and even crusty in some cases.

Add a convincing pre-christmas atmosphere to the novel (I read parts of it with 30 degrees Celsius in the shade and saw snowflakes melting on my legs) and what you get is a wonderful ride of a read that satisfies on all fronts.

The story is set in Three Lakes Maine that, according to the author, "has more secrets than stop signs". Chloe St. Cyr, student reporter for the Three Lakes Morning Star, pledges to unveil the secret behind the disappearance of her childhood friend Penny Pease who vanished without a trace, taking nothing but a backpack and leaving a note for her mother that she was running away. At twelve, Chloe believed in the story. Sifting through the clues fifteen years later soon gets Chloe way too close to a ruthless murderer who will stop at nothing to keep the secret. It also gets Chloe closer to Russ, gorgeous fire chief with a heart of gold hidden under all that soot.

As the snow obliterates all traces of an old mystery "Finding Penny" gathers speed and barrels along towards a blistering finish. Charming, quaint and pleasing, this cozy packs punch!

Link to story.