January 2023 - Bird of the Gods

Bird of the Gods is something a bit new to Wattpad.A Writer's Relay: the team consisting of sixteen writers plus coaches. Each writer was responsible for a chapter before handing on the baton to the next person, the coaches checking that no-one dropped the baton or raced ahead of the next runner.

When the story was finished and the final polishing touches applied, the first chapter was posted on its author's profile to be followed every few days by the next one, creating a trail for the reader to follow, much like the one occupying Fiona and Conrad, the two main characters in the story.

The chapters are still there on the various author's profiles if you wish to take up the hunt, beginning with basketballdemon or you can cut to the chase and pick up the entire story here on Adultfiction.

Schoolteacher Fiona is on a mission for grandpa – find a missing Zimbabwean artefact, the precious soapstone "Bird of the Gods".

Conrad – dodgy archaeologist contracted to the stunning influencer Amanda aka #mandalove – has the same job.

When Fiona and Conrad's paths cross, what was supposed to be a straightforward quest turns into a crazy race around the world. With antagonists popping up at every corner – from mountain tops to underground settings like Serbian caves, frozen Canadian crypts, and the silver mines of the old West, Fiona and Conrad have to work together to catch their bird.

Who will get there first, Fiona, Conrad or perhaps Amanda? And will the prize be what they expect? You'll have to read the story to find out.

Not only did I find this story appealing because of its unique construction, but I enjoyed the roller-coaster adventure ride too!

While you can detect the different styles of each writer (which is part of the charm, in my opinion), every effort has been made to ensure the consistency of plot and characters so that the reader is not left feeling as if they had missed a crucial step.

Bird of the Gods is worthy of your attention, both for the entertaining story and for the format. Perhaps it will encourage you to try something similar with a group of friends? 

Before I finish, special mention must be made of  EvelynHail who not only wrote one of the chapters but designed the effective and delightful cover.

You can find more about the authors here, in our Interview book for January 2023.