April 2019 - The Four Baristas of The Apocalypse

The Four Baristas of The Apocalypse  by Reffster is a prime example of the Comic Science Fiction sub-genre. What is Comic Sci-Fi? To quote @Ooorah s guide to SF SubGenre Definitions, "Comic science fiction is a sub-genre of science fiction that exploits the genre's conventions for comic effect. Comic science fiction often mocks or satirizes standard SF conventions like alien invasion of Earth, interstellar travel or futuristic technology."

For examples, think: Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or the television series Red Dwarf by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor.

The Four Baristas of The Apocalypse commences with four campers, Cam, Mel, Max and Cora, out in the middle of the Australian countryside, trying to fall asleep in their tents when they are interrupted, first by a dramatic light show and then by a massive fireball landing in the middle of their campsite.

Meanwhile, Parliament House in Canberra has been destroyed and the Prime Minister is missing, and London, Paris Washington and Beijing are under attack by "things" coming out of "big boxes floating in the sky..."

Earth is being invaded by aliens. * see definition of comic SF above.

These particular aliens are from Rigel, 863 light years away. Rigellians are an aggressive, war-like race who used to specialise in blowing each other up until they discovered interstellar travel and discovered there was a whole galaxy to blow up instead.

Then introduce Ethlukjamson, an A.I. hologram, wearing a T-shirt, board shorts, a tie, black dress shoes and yellow hard hat, who's come to help. Apparently, our four camping baristas are the only people who can save what's left of the world...

Do I need to say more?

The Four Baristas of The Apocalypse is a hugely entertaining work, and well worth a read. You can also check out @Adultfiction's interview with the author, Reffster, here.