Chapter 21

Nick

Christmas Eve was one amazing night, especially after all the kids were in bed & it was just me & Demi hanging out. It was incredible, feeling so close to her, like it used to feel when we were married. It started to feel even more incredible when I was getting signals from her that she may be rethinking our separation, but then she'd shoot me down, destroying any faith I may have had at that point.

After she gave me a thoughtful gift & practically jumped on my lap to kiss me, passionately, I got my hopes up, tremendously, but then she pummeled my heart a final time. I felt like I deserved it since I had cheated on her, but it still didn't make it hurt less. It took hours to fall asleep after she left the guest room that night. I kept looking toward the door, every time I heard a noise, hoping that she'd come back because she changed her mind about us.

The next morning I tried to forget about the night before. I put on my watch, headed down to the kitchen & smiled while I made cinnamon rolls that morning, like I had many times on Christmas morning, over the years. I wanted to have hope for me & Demi being together again one day, but it certainly wasn't easy since Demi straight up said she could never trust me again.

Being with my kids on that morning was special & I was overwhelmed with how relieved I felt to be with them, that I didn't think about Demi's mixed signals on Christmas eve. I saw Mercy eyeing my watch while we were eating breakfast & when her gaze met mine she gave me a smirk like she knew something was up. I didn't let her believe anything different because I didn't want to ruin her holiday. Instead, I just kept a physical distance from Demi & enjoyed the time with all of my kids.

After all the presents were opened, Demi went to get a trash bag from the kitchen & Harper came over to me, sitting on my knee & wrapping her arms around my neck. "Daddy? Did Santa leave us gifts at your house, too?"

I was surprised by her question & a little sad. "Um... no. Santa just brought everything here."

I saw my young daughter scowl as she looked over at Riley whose lip was sticking out. "Our friend Jessie gets two Christmases because her mom & dad are divorced." It pained me to hear this because the girls seemed genuinely upset that Demi & I came together for them on Christmas instead of giving them two holidays.

"Well, sometimes that's how it is, but your mom & I get along so well that we just told Santa that I would be with you at your house this morning so he brought everything here. It made more sense." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Oh. Okay." Harper nodded as she slid off my leg then went over to sit with Riley. They both looked disappointed.

"Was there something you asked for that you didn't get?"

"Me & Riley asked Santa for a puppy."

"A puppy?" I let out a chuckle, shaking my head. "Since when have you wanted a puppy?"

"We all want one. We've talked about it so me & Harper asked for one when we saw Santa." Riley spoke up.

"I see. Well, that's a really big responsibility & it's something your Mom would have to take care of when you're with me."

"We could bring it with us when we stay at your house." Harper lifted her shoulders, nonchalantly, making me laugh at how she had an answer for everything.

"That's not fair to a dog, though. They need stability." I responded, glancing at my other kids who were all watching me closely. I could tell they all liked the idea of having a dog.

"Maybe when you & Mommy get back together we can get a puppy." Riley had the biggest grin on her face & it broke my heart that she was so hopeful about something that I wasn't so hopeful about anymore.