Chapter 19

Jerry

I was kind of getting sick of hearing people tell me that it was a good thing I couldn't remember the car accident my brothers & I were in. I wanted to remember everything, even the bad stuff & it was frustrating to have pieces of my memory that were completely gone or still fuzzy. I wanted to remember the Halloween party that my sister & Karleigh kept mentioning. Anytime I asked about it, though, they wouldn't say anything about it.

Finally, one day, the week after Thanksgiving, I confronted Karleigh & Mercy as they hung out in Mercy's bedroom. Karleigh was staying with us, so she was sharing Mercy's bedroom with her. "Okay, I want to hear about the Halloween party." I said after I knocked on the bedroom door & one of them said to come in.

"We're not supposed to tell you stuff. It's supposed to come to you on its own." Mercy rolled her eyes at me as she went back to looking at her phone. Karleigh was watching me like she wanted to say something, but she bit her lip & looked down at her phone instead of saying anything.

"You're allowed to show me pictures."

"We showed you pictures." Mercy replied, without looking up from her phone.

"Not from Halloween."

Mercy looked at Karleigh who took in a deep breath & let it out, then I saw Karleigh give Mercy a slight nod. "Fine." Mercy sat up & played with her phone. A minute later, she turned her phone to face me. "There's one. Is it triggering any memories?"

I looked at the photo on Mercy's phone. It was me & Karleigh dancing & it didn't look familiar whatsoever. When my gaze met Karleigh's I could see the hope in her eyes, but I scowled, since I didn't remember this night. She looked away, quickly, hiding the disappointment. "I'm sorry. No."

"Well, it was a fun night." Mercy shrugged as I stood up straight, watching Karleigh as she avoided eye contact with me.

"Maybe the memories from that night will come back to me soon." I uttered, then put my hands together. "Speaking of fun night, Logan said there's a party at Wiley Brown's house next weekend after the basketball game. We should all go."

"As like a double date?" Mercy asked, in a hopeful tone, as she glanced at Karleigh.

I felt my face get warm as I chuckled, nervously. "Well, as friends."

"I'll talk to Logan about it." Mercy leaned on her headboard & Karleigh leaned on it next to her, both of them looking at their phones.

"Okay." I nodded, then turned & walked out of the room. I didn't know what went on at that Halloween party, but I got the feeling that I was missing something big. 

A few days later, Mom & Dad got amazing news, but sadly, they weren't together when they got it. Phil came over very early to tell Mom that she was nominated for several Grammy's & he added that her & Dad were nominated in the same category a few times. Mom was nominated for Best Solo Pop performance, Best Pop Vocal Album, Record of the Year & for Song of the Year. Dad was nominated for Record & Song of the year as well, then he was also nominated for Album of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group performance & Producer of the Year. We were all excited for them, but Mercy seemed to be more excited than anyone.

When I asked my sister later why she was so excited, I wasn't surprised by her answer. "Mom & Dad could go together & sit together & support each other. I just think they need more reminders of how perfect they are for each other." I also wasn't surprised that she ended her statement with a shrug of her shoulders. 

"Or they could realize that being apart made them better musicians & songwriters." I lifted my shoulders as I smirked at Mercy, but she didn't like what I was suggesting, so she smacked my arm before she turned to leave the room.