Chapter 26

Demi

It felt completely natural to tell Nick that I loved him, but since I hadn't said it in so long, it surprised him. Once I realized what I had said, I knew I wanted to keep saying it. I was in love with Nick & even though I had convinced myself for so long that I wasn't, he made me fall in love with him all over again. I was so happy seeing him smile, then when his hand came up to my face, my heart melted.

When Nick kissed me after I said those three words, the passion between us was undeniable. The kiss grew deep pretty quickly then our hands were all over each other. My mind was racing as Nick's tongue found mine. I had told him we wouldn't have sex until I fell in love with him again, but I also wanted to be sure we were going to be able to make our marriage work. I hoped he didn't expect to have sex with me now that I said I loved him.

By the way Nick was groping me & kissing me, I had this feeling he thought sex would be the next step. I moaned, softly, at the thought of making love to him again, my hand tugging gently at his hair, but then I realized I was getting caught up in my lustful feelings rather than being sensible. I pulled my lips from Nick's & let my hands slide down his arms. His lips were parted, slightly, as he looked confused.

"I'm sorry. I know I said we'd make love when I fell in love with you all over again, but I still have some reservations, Nick. I still want to wait until I know for sure that we can really make it work. Yes, I said 'I love you' & it came out naturally, which is great, but I still can't make love to you again just yet. I don't want my emotions to cloud my judgement." My eyebrows were up, hoping he wouldn't be too angry with me.

Nick's mouth closed, slowly, as he took a step back, then he ran his hands over his face. After he cleared his throat, he responded, "I understand."

"Do you?" I asked, in an unsure tone & he nodded. "Are you mad?"

A quiet chuckle escaped Nick's lips. "Am I mad?" He looked up at the sky, another chuckle coming out of him before he looked back at me. "Demi, I cheated. You ended our marriage & had every right to do so. I have no right to be mad at you for anything at this point. You can do whatever you need to do to get our marriage on a track. Whatever you're comfortable with. If you need more time, then take it. If you want to make love right here, right now, just say the word. I am following your lead & I am so grateful you gave me another chance it would be impossible for me to be mad at you anytime soon." Nick laughed again as he shook his head. "I don't know how long that will last, but for now you can do no wrong."

I giggled, covering my mouth. "Good to know." I shivered, suddenly, then moved closer to Nick. "Can you hold me because I'm freezing?"

"Let's go inside & warm up before we have that ice cream." Nick put his arm around my shoulder as I nodded in agreement, then we started walking toward the house.

Nick & I made ice cream sundaes which ended up being pretty fun. Nick played with the whipped cream & squirted some on my nose when I wasn't looking. Of course, I had to get revenge by grabbing his face & kissing him so the whipped cream went all over his face. I loved being playful with him because it reminded me of the early days in our relationship when we were carefree people & not responsible parents. 

Later, after the sundaes were devoured, Nick grabbed my hand & pulled me out onto the porch so we could watch the clear night sky illuminated by the full moon. His arms went around my waist & he pulled me against him. "Care to dance my Demi?"

A warm sensation traveled up my neck & reached my face as I smiled. "I'd love to, My Nick."

"Your Nick, huh?" Nick smirked as he leaned his forehead against mine. "That's promising."