Chapter 9

Demi

The night of the movie premiere was complicated & it was all I could think about as I sat in the car, on my way home, very early the next morning. I didn't get much sleep, so I was looking forward to getting a hot shower & crawling into my own bed. I just hoped the kids slept in long enough for me to get a few hours of sleep, that morning.

When the driver pulled into my driveway, I thanked him, then got out. The sun had come up so I stood there for a moment, admiring the beautiful colors of the sky over the house, before I made my way inside. I closed the front door, quietly, trying not to wake up Nick or the kids. As I turned around, I jumped when I saw Nick standing in the archway to the family room.

"Jesus. You scared the shit out of me. I wasn't expecting anyone to be up this early." I gasped, as I pressed my hand against my chest. Nick stared at me & I scowled when I saw that he was still wearing the tuxedo shirt he had worn to the premiere. "Did you sleep in your tux?"

"I didn't sleep, actually. I was worried about you. You didn't think you should let me know you weren't coming home? Where the hell were you, anyway?"

"I did let you know. I sent you a text." I pulled my phone out of my purse, then brought up my text message history, sighing out of annoyance when I saw the explanation point that let me know it failed to send. "It didn't send & I didn't realize." I held my phone up to show him. "You can see it says, 'I'm really exhausted so I'm going to stay in the hotel room since it was paid for anyway.' I'm sorry I worried you." I put my arm down when Nick looked away from my phone.

"Mercy & I were looking for you at the party, ya know?" Nick looked down as he put his hands in his pockets.

"Oh. Well I was being pulled in eight different directions all night."

"She wanted to get a picture of the three of us."

"Aww.. I feel bad now. I'm sorry. I was so busy all night."

Nick lifted his chin & the hard expression on his face made my breath hitch. "You didn't look busy when you were on the terrace."

"What?"

"With JD. You know... when he kissed you." Nick spit the words out as if they were poison in his mouth. "I kept hearing everyone talk about your on screen chemistry, so I guess it's spilled over into real life, huh? Were you with him last night? Are you two dating now?"

I could feel the anger building up, but I took a deep breath & let it out, so I wouldn't yell at him. I knew he had been worried & I knew he was upset with what he saw, so I understood his attitude. "No, we aren't dating. We are friends. So how long did you stand there when you saw him kiss me?" I put my purse on the table nearby, then rest my hands on my hips. 

"I turned around & got the hell out of there the moment his mouth touched yours

"I turned around & got the hell out of there the moment his mouth touched yours." Nick's lips were in a tight thin line as he looked around, deep breathing through his nostrils. "I didn't want to see anymore. That was painful enough."