Chapter 4

Nick

When I heard a noise coming from my garage, I was stunned, nearly choking on the food I had in my mouth. "Who's out there?" I asked, loudly, glancing over at Jill, who looked curious, but not scared. "Demi, is that you?" I knew Demi was supposed to come over, so it would make sense that she was here.

"Yea, it's me." I heard Demi's voice nearly a minute later, as I was walking toward the door that led into my garage. "Sorry for interrupting but I have our daughter's bikes..." She said, angrily as she yanked the door open & came in. Her expression was angry at first, then it turned to surprise when she saw me & Jill. "Oh... uh... I'm sorry... I can just get the bikes out myself... I didn't mean to interrupt your date."

Jill & I started laughing. "Date? This isn't a date. This is Jill. Jill, this is Demi, the kids' mother." It hurt to introduce Demi as someone other than 'my wife.'

Jill rolled her eyes & shook her head then smiled at Demi, "I know who she is." She chuckled, reaching to shake Demi's hand. "And I'm not his date."

I saw Demi looking at Jill's hand, like she was looking for a ring. "Nice to meet you." Demi replied, in a cautious tone.

"Jill is the personal chef I hired, so I don't have to keep having my mom cook me food & popping over unannounced with meals."

"Oh. I can imagine that would cramp your style... " Demi said, in a quiet voice. "I'm glad I'm not interrupting a date."

"You definitely aren't. I'm happily married." Jill held up her left hand to show Demi, who looked a little relieved, which made me very happy. 

Demi turned red, then shook her head. "I heard... I thought..." She shook her head, harder & turned toward the door. "I'm going to go get the bikes out of the car. It was nice meeting you, Jill."

"You, too." Jill said as Demi practically ran out the door.

"I'll be back. I'm going to help her."

"I'm just about finished. I just have to pack my stuff up, now that it's all cleaned & your food is all put away."

"Okay. Thanks so much Jill. That sauce is delicious." Jill smiled as I turned to head out to help Demi. When I got to the back of Demi's SUV, she was struggling to get one of the bikes out. "Here, let me get it, before you hurt yourself." I grinned but Demi looked irritated. I got the bike out & set it on the pavement, then turned to get the other one. "So, why are you so pissed off at me?" I asked, as I pulled the second bike out of the back of the SUV.

"I'm not pissed off." She forced a slight smile, that I knew wasn't real. 

I put the bike down & put my hands on my hips

I put the bike down & put my hands on my hips. "Demi, I have known you for nearly thirty years. I know when you're mad. I know when you're annoyed. I know when you're irritated with me."