Chapter 23

Nick

I felt bad for yelling at Demi when she seemed to be trying to cheer me up, but the way she went about it literally broke my heart. Seeing the familiar words printed on that little slip of paper I pulled out of the fortune cookie made my heart soar for a brief moment. For one second I got my hopes up that maybe Demi was going to give me another chance, but then the many statements she had said to me over the last year started consuming my thoughts.

"I don't see how I could ever trust you."

"I can't keep going like this."

"There is absolutely nothing that we could do to make me trust you again."

"I need us to be over for my own sanity."

"I will never trust you again."

"I still don't trust you."

I leaned on the counter in my kitchen, taking a few deep breaths, then I pushed myself off of it once I felt like I could stand on my own. I opened a cupboard to get two champagne glasses then grabbed the bottle of grape juice before I headed back to the family room where I left Demi.

Demi was standing in the same spot, wearing a look of shock on her face, but I barely glanced at her as I made my way to the fireplace. I put the bottle & glasses on the mantle then put my hands in my pocket as I stared at my wedding band that was still where I left it earlier that evening. "I'm sorry I yelled at you. I just can't get my hopes up anymore, Demi." I finally managed to say. "I know you've wanted me to move on & I think I should. You deserve to be happy with someone & I deserve..." I paused then turned my head a little so I could see Demi in my peripheral vision. "I deserve to be happy too."

"We do deserve to be happy. We deserve to be happy with each other." Demi said in a whisper, so I turned around to face her, my face showing my confusion as to what she just uttered. "For the last year, I've tried to make myself fall out of love with you but that didn't happen. Even when we aren't a couple you still do things that remind me of why I fell in love with you. I never knew that was possible." Demi took a deep breath but seemed like she was amused all the sudden. Maybe my dumbfounded expression was funny to her. I was trying to figure out where she was going with the things she was saying to me, so I was sure I looked very confused. When Demi began speaking again, her voice shook & my heart started racing. "You are in my heart & soul forever & I can't get you out now. It's too late. I tried & I failed." The familiar words made my eyebrows rise up in surprise as she smiled at me. "But that's okay because I want forever & I want it with you. I'm willing to risk my heart again because I will always be in love with you & if I can have forever, then the risk will be worth it. I hope you want forever, too."

I took a step in Demi's direction as I shook my head, slowly. Trying to find my voice was difficult at first but I managed eventually. When it came out, my voice was low & it probably sounded like I didn't believe her just yet. "If you're fucking with me, this is cruel, Demi." My heart felt like it might come through my chest as I kept inching toward Demi. 

She chuckled, making my heart soar as it continued thumping rapidly. "This would be the part where you run & grab me in your arms to kiss m ..." I didn't hesitate whatsoever hearing her say what I said to her all those years ago. I took a final step toward her, grabbing her face in between my hands as I put my lips on hers, eagerly.

Our kiss deepened as I felt Demi's arms around my waist, holding me against her like she was afraid I'd float away. After a minute or so of kissing, I pulled my lips from hers, "I never ever want to have a first kiss with anyone else. I just want to have a last kiss with you one day far into the future. You're my end game, Demi." I said in a low voice as I stared into her eyes.