Chapter 27

Nick

As my son asked about his friend's dad saving Demi's life, the memory came flooding back. I saw the look on Demi's face & instantly I was transported back in time to that moment when Demi was almost shot while she was pregnant with Avery. Officer Jones took that bullet instead & my wife & our unborn son were alive because of that act of bravery.

I listened to Demi tell the story of Officer Jones, telling them how we all kept in touch for a while until AJ moved his family to another city. When Demi finished talking to the kids, she looked over at me. "I feel bad we lost touch with AJ & his wife over the last few years. I should invite them over for dinner sometime soon."

"Yea, for sure." I nodded, still surprised at the small world we were living in.

Avery was excited hearing about the possible dinner with his new friend. He got his milkshake & as he drank it I could tell how happy he was. Not only did he have a new friend but he would meet the man he was named after. I knew he was thrilled to hear the story of how he was saved before he was born. Avery always loved hearing stories of when Demi was carrying him or stories of when he was a baby.

Demi told Avery to get Roni's parents' phone number the next day & she would call them to set up a dinner for sometime soon. When the kids were all getting ready for bed that evening, I was helping Demi clean up the kitchen, listening to her talk about how crazy it was that Avery became friends with AJ's daughter.

"Are you going to come to dinner with AJ & his family?" Demi asked as she handed me a dish to put in the dishwasher.

"Sure. I'd be honored. AJ has come through for me a few times so it will be nice to see him again. Which night were you thinking?"

"I'll see what works for them. I could even do Sunday afternoon maybe for lunch." Demi shrugged her shoulders then went back to the dishes.

"Let me know."

"I will." Demi smiled at me. "You staying to tuck the kids in?"

"If you want me to."

"Of course I want you to." Demi had lowered her voice, which sounded even sexier than usual.

I leaned toward her, glancing toward the entrance to the kitchen to make sure no kids were on their way in. "I think we need a date night soon."

"Which date are you recreating next?" She asked, turning her body to face me.

I was still very close to her so I licked my lips before I hummed, "There are so many that come to mind but do you know what I really want to do that we used to do so well?" Demi bit her lower lip as she shook her head so I kept talking in the same low tone of voice. "I want to make love while we stare into each other's eyes."

I saw Demi swallow then noticed how pink her cheeks were getting. "That sounds fun. I remember that it was mentioned in my remember jar."

"It was. Know what else...." I stopped mid sentence when I heard the kids running down the stairs. I stepped away from Demi, quickly. "Know what I was thinking about the other day?"

"What's that?" Demi asked, loudly, turning her body back to the sink as Mercy & the twins came into the kitchen.

"When I taught you how to shoot a gun."

"Oh yea, that was fun." Demi's voice was full of excitement as she remembered how much fun we had.

"I remember you guys talking about that. It was on your bucket list you made that year as your resolution. Right?" Mercy mentioned as she opened the fridge.