Chapter 57

Chapter 57

The forensic team arrived at the Trivedi house on the following day as soon as they found out that the suspect wearing the hat was suffering from a very rare hair disease called Monilethrix. It is a genetically occurring disease in which hair follicles are loosely bound to the scalp, causing a very brittle and sparse growth of hair throughout the lifetime.

Four days later, Vihaan visited the Trivedi house again. Speaking to Shaurya, Vihaan asked, "You have opened the outhouse for the families of your employees who were victims to the poisonous gases introduced into the pipelines of your factory. The forensic team had picked up DNA samples from every suspicious substance they could, including your own parents."

"Shit Vihaan!" Shaurya chided him. "Why would they do that? How can my own family be doubted?"

"Don't panic," Vihaan repeated in a concerned voice. "They did what their responsible duty is. They had to collect all data including the ones from the Trivedi house and the outhouse. Nobody is outside the benefit of doubts unless the real culprit is caught."

"Do you think the culprit will still be here even after knowing that the DNA samples were collected and tested?"

"The forensic experts are well trained for such cases. Even your own DNA samples were collected without being known to you." Vihaan's disclosure of the truth forced Shaurya to frown.

With an exaggerated sigh, Shaurya widened his eyes. "Seriously, you people are magnificent in nabbing culprits. But I am not going to plot to kill myself. I don't get why they collected my samples too?"

"If you remember, you had a visit from the pest control service a couple of days ago. They anesthetized everyone with aerosol sprays and you thought they were spraying disinfectants for bugs at home. They did the same at the outhouse and picked hair samples of each individual. It was possible that few persons could be missing from home, hence they also collected hair samples and leftover genes on all the combs they found around the entire place," Vihaan explained, taking a closer look at Shaurya. "You weren't home at that time so they mistakenly collected your sample from the comb you use. They had marked your room on the particular tamper-proof bag containing your sample and they also did the same for other individuals too. I found it out from the blueprint of your house."

"What is the outcome, Vihaan? I'm losing my patience. Did you find out who has been planning behind my back?" Shaurya squirmed in his position, standing next to the door of his room.

"Tell me the name of the person who lives in the third room from the right, on the first floor of your outhouse?" Vihaan asked, glancing down at some official papers in his hands.

"No way can he do that." Shaurya shook his head vigorously. "He has himself been the sufferer of all the wrong doings."

"He has already been arrested by my team. If you move to the living room with me, you'll get to know his real motives behind plotting to kill you." Vihaan pulled Shaurya along with him as they hurriedly paved their way downstairs.

*****

"Sahil!" Shaurya exclaimed in anguish as he held his collar. "I trusted you as one of my closest friends and you were doing this behind my back."

"You were never my friend." Sahil scoffed, slightly pushing Shaurya away. "I was waiting to kill you since so many days but I couldn't."

"Why would you think of that? I haven't done anything wrong to create this sense of revenge in you. In fact, I fetched you and your sister here to save you from the threats." Shaurya shook his head.

"Those were all gimmicks, Shaurya. Nobody wanted to kill us. It was all my plan to get into your house when my hired man failed to kill you at Agra," Sahil said with angst, bulging his eyes enormously. "I even made you believe that the lives of the employees of the old factories are in danger too. You trusted me so much that you agreed to give them rooms in your outhouse. I had always wanted to kill you from behind the shadow of the other employees so that I don't get caught.. But Rohini..."