Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Sanchi did not waste even a single moment as soon as she was allowed to visit Vihaan in the custody. Cold, dark and eerie, the cell looked no larger than a medium-sized kitchen room. Confining himself to a vivid corner behind the bars, Vihaan sat with his head down, hugging his knees to his chest.

Sanchi's weak heart palpitated to find Vihaan in such a poor condition, the able officer who was in the habit of fiercely shoving criminals into the cells almost daily. It was so unacceptable and humiliating enough for an honest officer to be sharing the similar cell for the murder of his own brother.

Vihaan was kept in special custody because of his identity and rank in the police department. His case would be transferred to the regular court after a thorough custodial interrogation before the CBI seniors in a couple of days. A retired high court judge would also be present during the interrogation procedures.

Sanchi knew if ever Vihaan's case moved to the court, the chances of Vihaan's absolvation from all charges would no longer be available. His service to the police and career would be hampered for the lifetime. Having known Vihaan even for only a few months and falling in love with the beautiful heart behind an arrogant face, she couldn't accept anything wrong to happen to him.

With shambling footsteps, Sanchi had walked the length of the dark passage, passing every empty cell on the way until she reached the room where Vihaan was, crouching in a specified corner. Clutching the iron bars, Sanchi whispered, "Vih-aan!!"

Upon hearing the broken yet beautiful voice, Vihaan didn't care to lift up his face. Tightening the hold on his knees, he mumbled, "Why did you come here? I told you to take care of my family because they need you. You are supposed to leave me alone, just go away from here."

"If you care for your fam-ily, why did you shoot your own bro-ther, the bro-ther who loved you the mo-st?" Sanchi spoke in a raised voice. "Un-less you tell me the truth, I'm not lea-ving from here. You know how ada-mant I can be."

Vihaan lifted his withered face and with a pale smirk, he shot an angry glare at her. "I have killed my own brother. What more truths are you willing to know?"

"I have hea-rd of this a thou-sand times that you have shot him. I want to know some-thing new, the rea-son as to why you have shot him. I kn-ow you can't do such a thi-ng to your bro-ther, not even in your worst night-mare. What if it was all a mis-conduct and you mis-takenly shot him?" Sanchi was intensely gazing into his reddened eyes.

Vihaan inhaled a deeper breath before closing his eyes again. "How many times will I tell the whole world that I have shot him...." He exhaled before adding, "I have shot him in my consciousness even after knowing that he is my brother. It took me a thousand breaths before pulling the trigger because I was totally aware I was going to shoot my own brother!"

Sanchi was taken aback with his statement. The truth was becoming difficult for her to digest. "You deli-berately did it but why, Vih-aan? You can't shoot him with-out a reason and if there is really a rea-son, why aren't you tell-ing the police, to papa, to Arjun? Why are you risk-ing your fame and car-eer for it?"

"I have no other option, Sanchi."

"You can't keep avoid-ing and hiding the truth fr-om me. Ple-ase tell me about it. I pro-mise I will keep it to my-self un-less you want it out. I can't see you like th-is." Tears flowed down her cheeks as her heart was bleeding with pain and sympathy for Vihaan.

The sight of Sanchi crying so near him raised the urge in him to embrace her with all the soft emotions which were brewing inside him. The situation they had fallen into was demanding enough to cry their heart out into each other's comforting arms. But to their doleful destiny, they had the barrier between them, the iron bars standing like a rock pillar to guard them against each other.