Dear Rodeo - Cody Johnson

Your husband Cody had gone out to buy some things at the grocery store and you were cleaning up the house and soon you would start preparing lunch.

It was a sunny Saturday and you thought it might be fun to hang out with Cody somewhere. He was finally home after a tour of the United States of America and you just wished you could enjoy all the time available to date with your husband. You missed him so much...

You were dusting the house when you went to the little office. It was a cozy space where sunlight streamed through the rectangular windows illuminating everything. There was a small desk with a computer and some guitars. Cody enjoyed spending time there writing his songs or dealing with his problems with the manager. Sometimes you used the office to work too, since besides being a nurse you had a blog about cooking that you loved so much.

With the duster in your hand you started cleaning the office. First the bookcase and then the secretary. Only then did you notice a paper on the table that looked like a letter. The blue ink pen was still resting under the paper and you couldn't help looking at the paper. It wasn't usual for you to meddle in Cody's things, but the first line of the letter caught your attention.

"Dear Rodeo"

I'd be lyin' if I tried to tell you I don't think about you...

But sometimes a man must change before it's too late. Sometimes a man must find the courage to change the things he can.

I have acted young and reckless for so many years, trying to find something that made me feel alive with the blood pumping through my veins. And I found that on a rodeo. The thrill of the action. The heart beating fast. Just 8 seconds of pure freedom.

I grew up used to watching the rodeos since kid, dreaming wide awake with being like those brave men out there. I had my first real rodeo at sixteen. I hurt my leg in the same year but I never gave up. At twenty years old I was feeling like a champion but at twenty one I lost my best friend on a rodeo. (God, I miss him...)

I always knew it was dangerous, but danger runs through our veins when we are young.

I met my wife (the love of my life) at a rodeo when I was twenty-three. Her brother was also a rodeo cowboy and although she was never a big fan of rodeos she accompanied her younger brother whenever she could.

I still notice in my body all the marks of falls, fractures, injuries of each rodeo as a permanent tattoo on my body. And the truth is that I wouldn't erase them for nothing. The rodeo will always run in my blood. But sometimes a man has to realize that certain things get better in the past.

Dear rodeo, I think you should know that I thank you for all the memories I keep inside me about when I was young and fearless and when those eight seconds seemed like forever. I think you should also know that I thank you for being the reason that I met the woman of my life.

I think you should know that I quit riding on rodeos, because my love for her is so much bigger than my craving for adrenaline. We got married and her heart was always worried about every rodeo because I never knew if it would hurt me. And I couldn't keep letting her so upset about me. I think it's time for me to change ... some things just become sweet memories in our lives.

I want to be a good husband. I want to have a family with children running in the yard. I love my wife so deeply.

And dear Rodeo, I'd like to think you miss me too. But I know you don't.

But I'm still in love with you,

My dear Rodeo.

***** 

I just found out his music and I love it!

Have you ever been to a rodeo?