4:Perplexing choice/ Sudden death.

"Oh my God!" Susan exclaimed as she leaned against the wall, her thoughts racing. She never imagined they would face a situation like this. Simone, on the other hand, was seated on the cushion, tears streaming down her face. She had heard people talk about such situations, but she never thought she'd experience it firsthand.

Susan walked over to Simone, trying to offer comfort. "Simone, everything will be alright," she said, her voice gentle. But she couldn't help addressing the immediate issue. "Now, Simone, the decision is yours. Will you terminate the pregnancy?"

"Hell no," Simone replied resolutely, using some of the English she had been learning from the books Susan provided.

Susan nodded but couldn't hide her frustration. "Well, I want you to think about it. We're both struggling to survive, and I can't take care of both you and your child. Besides, we don't even know if it's twins. You need to consider everything," she said sternly before walking away.

Simone's mind raced as she lay on the cushion. Tears flowed uncontrollably, and she couldn't help but feel sorry for herself. "Right from when I was little, my whole life has been a struggle," she thought. Memories of past hardships and suffering filled her mind. "God, punish my father Tajide for leaving me. God, punish Yakubu and Nashiru, and my foster father Hamza. I've forgiven Monkeli, but God will still punish all of you together," she cried, her emotions pouring out. "Should I keep the child or not?" she pondered.

A mixture of sense and nonsense swirled in her mind, but the reality remained: she was pregnant, and there was no changing the past.

Back in Tana village, Azeezat's health deteriorated rapidly. Hamza, worried and helpless, did everything he could to ease her suffering. However, her condition worsened, and she became paralyzed. Panic set in for Hamza, and he rushed to the local shaman, Gaburu, who was also Gafu's elder brother.

Desperation filled Hamza as he sought help. Gaburu's response was blunt, as he said, "Your wife is reaping what she sowed." He instructed Hamza to place a stone on Azeezat's head three times. Hamza followed the shaman's instructions.

However, when he returned home, he found a large crowd gathered, wailing and mourning. Desperate to reach Azeezat, he pushed through the mourners, only to discover his wife, cold and lifeless.

Amira, his sister, handed him a letter that Azeezat had written before her death. In the letter, Azeezat confessed to a web of deceit and treachery, revealing that she had orchestrated much of the suffering that had befallen their family. She also mentioned her affair with the Head Chief and admitted to using a love potion to sustain her marriage.

Hamza was overcome with shock, anger, and sorrow as he read the letter. In his grief, he led the family to confront the Head Chief, and a violent confrontation ensued.

Hamza knew he needed to deliver Azeezat's letter to Simone, and he asked Amira to prepare it. As they dealt with the revelations and consequences of Azeezat's actions, their lives were irrevocably changed.

The secrets and deceptions that had plagued Tana village were slowly unraveling, leaving a trail of pain, guilt, and uncertainty in their wake.