who is she?

The plight of women today is a matter of grave concern, as societal norms often clash with notions of justice. A thin line separates what society deems "normal" from the injustices women face.

Women continue to struggle for leadership positions, and if a woman strays in her marriage, society often calls for her immediate expulsion. Unfair disadvantages are placed upon women; they're discouraged from voicing their opinions, and in some places, they are expected to remain invisible, confined within the four walls of their homes. While men are often perceived as rulers, we must remember that they, too, were birthed by women.

Women face immense pressure and dejection, compelled into servitude. Women of color, in particular, bear the brunt of discrimination solely because of their gender. They endure trials, abuse, and pain, being told they are weak and valueless, constantly taken advantage of. Even the challenges faced by dark-skinned men are daunting, let alone those encountered by dark-skinned women.

I stand here to give a voice to all black women; you deserve praise, love, and adoration. I have a mother, and I extend her story to represent all dark-skinned women on this Earth. As a man who believes in the well-being of women, I offer this story as a source of inspiration to you.

***

Simone, a girl from the suburban northern part of Nigeria, radiates beauty with her gap-toothed smile, radiant skin, and curly hair. Despite her captivating appearance, Simone hails from a humble home where they struggle to have three meals a day. As the only daughter among three children, she shoulders the responsibilities of the household chores while her elder brother, Monkeli, and her father, Hamza, go hunting for food. Her mother, Azeezat, toils in the farm, leaving Simone to care for her younger brother, Yusuf. The entire Tana village admires Simone for her hard work and kindness. She is known as the girl who would do anything for the well-being of her neighbors. Even though Simone comes from a modest background, she gazes into the mirror and tells herself, in her dialect, that she will become wealthy one day. She never lets her family's hardships deter her; she remains focused on her dreams.

"Daddy," Simone cried out one day, "I want to go to school." Hamza gazed at her and chuckled, "My girl, I knew this day would come. You have big dreams, as if I knew, that's why I named you a name from a foreign land, 'Simone."

***

"What visitor?" Simone exclaimed curiously. Azeezat grinned with a fierce look, "That's for you to figure out," she said, adjusting her breast properly as she continued to breastfeed Yusuf. Simone washed her hands, wiped them on the wrapper tied around her waist, and tiptoed gently into the hut. She stared in amazement as she saw her entire family, including uncles and aunts, seated inside.

"Nnaoni (good afternoon)," she greeted in her dialect. "Welcome, our daughter," they replied. Hamza walked up to her, "Sit down, my daughter." Simone sat down in anxiety.

"Well," Hamza cleared his throat, "we have gathered here for the marriage introduction of Alhaji Jamil and my one and only daughter, Simone." The whole room erupted in applause. Simone, in a perplexed state, screamed, "Father!" Azeezat quickly covered her mouth and whispered into her ear, "Shut up."

Simone was overwhelmed with sadness, unable to find the right words, as tears welled up in her eyes. At just 16 years old, her father was preparing her for marriage, driven by nothing but his own greed. Simone couldn't bear the thought of being subjected to this fate, and she made a life-altering decision.

She sprinted away as fast as her feet could carry her, thinking, "I would rather die than submit to this," determined to escape the situation. Hamza yelled at Monkeli to run after her, creating chaos in the house as everyone stood up to witness the unfolding drama.

***

Simone found herself in a state of uncertainty. She had never defied her parents or even looked them in the eye. Now, she was running away from her own marriage. Perched atop a mango tree, tears streamed down her face. Simone began to sing a song she had heard from her cousin Kofi's phone; he lived in the city. The song carried a message of strength and self-worth, a comforting refrain during difficult times.

Monkeli clapped his hands repeatedly, hailing his sister as a superstar with an incredible voice. But Simone shot him a stern look, demanding his silence. "I see you've got some nerves," Monkeli retorted, but Simone wasn't about to back down. "If anyone should be responsible for my marriage, it's not you, Monkeli. I've supported you and stood by you as a sister. That doesn't change the fact that I'm taking my own path."

As Simone confronted her brother, two unfamiliar voices suddenly interrupted. Simone and Monkeli turned their gaze to find Nashiru and Yakubu, two village touts from Tana, climbing up the tree towards them.

Unbeknownst to Simone, Monkeli had owed them money, and they had come to collect their debt. Nashiru and Yakubu had no qualms about using force to get what they wanted, even if it meant threatening Simone.