Break a Promise

For some reason, he knew this was coming. For another, he didn't stop it from happening. Quake saw everything that was going on within his team, no matter what they were doing.

He knew that it was the day that they were going to be disbanded. That one argument that nobody could resolve, the conflict that everyone would rather avoid than face each other.

The topic of power.

It's been years since he'd saw the six of them. He'd heard rumors that some of them retired from the hero business, and some of them remained as anonymous heroes in the city. Meanwhile he himself lay dormant, waiting for the right moment to confront the problem.

Quake was the leader, and he was going to lead his team, one way or the other.

* * *

"Why come to me?"

"I know you didn't want to be part of that fall-out," Quake said, crossing his arms. The alley was dark, the shadows snuffing out the moonlight, yet his golden eyes remained luminous and sharp. "I've known you since you were young. You can't lie to me."

The sound of metal piercing the ground echoed, and the hooded figure turned. His red eyes were unnaturally bright, and he pulled down his black mask.

"You're saying as if I don't know you," Thunderstorm whispered, guard up. "It's been seven years. So why come to me now?"

Quake met his eyes, which were a shade that he hadn't seen for many years, despite growing up with their presence. He smiled, already sensing that he was willing to agree to his plan.

"I want you to help me reunite the team."

Like he expected, Thunderstorm didn't object.

Thunderstorm groaned, head bowing as he scratched his sunspot. "Ugh," he complained, leaning on his sword, the blade dark red, the tip inserted to the cement ground. "What do you have to gain out of all of this?"

"There's a new threat rising, and it can only be defeated by all the elemental users," Quake explained patiently. "If we don't find the others within three weeks, then Earth will be exposed to them and we'll all die."

"Is there any other reason?" Thunderstorm remarked sarcastically, rolling his eyes. He turned serious, which was an emotion so rare that Quake nearly forgot what it looked like. He was always furious and raging. "I know where to find Solar and Cyclone. But for the others, you're going to have to find out yourself."

"You're not coming with?"

Thunderstorm lifted the blade and hefted it over his shoulders. He put his black fabric mask and hood, turning from him.

"This city needs me," he said dully, not even casting him a glance. "Even if I'm a vigilante, I still need to make sure no one of our old enemies find this place."

Quake blinked. So he was the one that was sending their previous foes to justice, even if they did escape in the end. Nevertheless, they were still caught once more and the cycle eternally repeated itself like history.

He nodded. "Understood," he said.

"You can find Solar at Harvard. He's a professor for physics and chemistry," Thunderstorm listed off. "Cyclone's a model in Los Angeles. His photoshoot should be around 7 next Monday. You can find him pretty easily."

"How do you know about them?"

Thunderstorm fell silent, but his head turned to him, but his eyes were shielded by his hood.

"Like you said, I didn't want the team to fall apart either."

He disappeared in a blur of red.

* * *