Never Meant to Be

XvRuika_ChirukavX for your IceClone needs

"So, I heard you broke up with Thunder."

The wind elemental's head craned from his phone as he leaned on the cafe's seat, his eyes facing a familiar face he'd known for years. He smiled bitterly, fingers curling around the plastic cup in retrospect.

Ice sat himself down on the cushioned seat across the table, waiting for Cyclone's reply. He also had a similar chocolate frappe in his hand, which testified the theory of the team sharing similar preferences in iced beverages.

Cyclone's eyes fell to the wooden table, his thumb moving to turn his phone off. He hadn't expected anyone to find out so soon, especially by Ice. Ice always seemed so apathic in gossip and relationship statuses.

"Yeah," he breathed, trying to stop his voice from cracking. "How'd you figure?"

Ice's emotionless eyes turned to his unfinished drink. "Well, I saw him with Solar earlier."

Cyclone's breath hitched. He'd found a replacement so quickly? Had he been planning this all this time?

Did their relationship mean nothing?

"But wasn't Solar with…"

"Yeah," Ice cuts him off simply, "he was."

Cyclone drew in a shaky breath. "Does he…?"

"Yes." Ice nods, hood bobbing. "Thorn knows. Solar told him after he and Thunder started their relationship. Thing is, I think they're more comfortable with each other than with you and Thorn."

"What? What do you mean?" Cyclone tried to keep his voice down. They were still in public. "They planned all of this? What's the purpose in dating me, then?"

"Who's the dominant one in your relationship?"

"Huh?" Cyclone paused to consider the shift in question. "Oh, Thunderstorm."

"And in Solar's?"

"Thorn."

"That's the problem," Ice states, not bothering to cut corners. "You and Thunderstorm are both submissives. He may not seem like one, but he's so submissive he tries to comply to your needs. Solar's not submissive, either. He and Thorn are both dominants, which is why both your relationships didn't work out."

Oh. Cyclone never really bothered to consider the fact that Thunderstorm might not be dominant material. He'd always judged him on his stubborn, short tempered personality and his tendency to not take no as an answer.

Maybe Solar and Thunderstorm might be better off together after all. It didn't make him feel better, but it's the best for him.

"Thanks for telling me this, Ice," he sniffled, wiping away his tears with the back of his palm.

Ice nodded, resting his cheek on his palm.

"I have another question for you."

Cyclone sniffled. "Huh? What's that?"

"It's something simple," he promised. "Will you be my boyfriend?"