Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

Zhi Ting nodded at DiDi, signaling that he was going to take this for him so he could dodge to safety. "Babe..."

"Gao Zhi Ting, don't use "BABE" on me. I asked HIM. Not you."

The other man was not flustered but continued to smile at his intended. "DiDi comes bearing gifts."

"Gifts or bribe?", Xin asked shrewdly, her eyes closing into slits.

DiDi tapped at Zhi Ting as though to say he would take it from here. "You can call it whatever you want, Xin. I just hope that you and Zhi Ting enjoy it. You both look like you need it."

Dong Xin pursed her lips. "We need what?"

"DiDi said we'll find out if we leave now and go with his driver", Zhi Ting answered, walked towards his fiancée, and carried her up from the sofa.

"HOLD ON! HOLD ON!", Xin screeched, "Just the two of us?"

"Yes", DiDi interjected, "The gift specifically IS for couples."

"And how about Yue?"

"I'll take care of her."

"GAO ZHI TING PUT ME DOWN!!!", the bride-to-be commanded.

But the groom-to-be just shook his head. "We could be late, babe. There's apparently a reservation for this and we don't want to forfeit that."

Both Dong Xin and Shen Yue's eyes widened at the sudden turn of events.

Zhi Ting winked at DiDi before he carried a visibly anxious Xin, who still did not understand what was going on.

"DiDi?", Yue asked the smirking entrepreneur, whose attention was at the couple who had just left.

He faced her, the smirk still plastered on him, and cocked an eyebrow.

"Explain yourself."

He shook his head. "I'd rather show you", he said and walked two steps closer to her, before extending his hand to give her support to stand up.

She was too curious and too stunned at what had just happened to note that there was something different about the man standing in front of her.

In the past, when DiDi smirked like that, it often boded bad for the person it was directed at (which was normally her). But this time around, that slight lift at the end of his mouth was good-natured, if not a little playful.

Yue stood up, expecting DiDi to withdraw his hand after helping her up, but he walked towards the veranda with their hands still linked.

It is a small thing, that is true, but she felt her throat go dry at the gesture.

It has been quite a while since the last time she felt the feel of his skin against her and something was tingling at the tip of her fingers, building up to something she knows she would find difficult to contain.

Distracted by her thoughts, Yue caught her breath when DiDi opened the doors to the veranda and the sight of an airbed set up in the middle of the garden greeted her eyes. There was a table that had all kinds of picnic food imaginable but there were no chairs. There was a blanket and a number of pillows on the side of the bed but nothing else OR, more importantly, no one else.

"What's this?", she asked, bewildered.

"We'll eat under the stars", he replied, pointed at the sky, and that was when she realized that all of the heavenly bodies looked like they were putting on a show.

This was a fairly weird phenomenon as the sky at night is normally covered up by smog, you could barely see anything.

"Wow! I did not even notice how clear the sky is tonight", she exclaimed.