xviii

Nina and The Doctor landed the TARDIS in Paris, France, 17th of November 2074. It was the day of one of the most beautiful meteor showers ever to be seen in France, and the four of them were on top of the Eiffel Tower. It was closed, so they were the only ones there.

Amy and Rory were sitting on a bench on one side of the third floor, and Nina and the Doctor were sitting on another bench, on the other side. Amy had told the two that she wanted a little bit of privacy with her newly married husband, but Nina saw the mischief in her eyes. She was definetly trying to set them up.

Nina and the Doctor watched in silence as the meteors flew and shone above them. Nina was sitting a few inches away from the Doctor, their hands almost touching on the bench. The Doctor suddenly pointed up at the sky.

"Did you know that these meteors are just debris from the minor planet Euros 2003?" He said, trying to appear clever. Nina chuckled at him.

"Yes, I did know," she revealed. His cheeks went red as he remembered that Nina wasn't just any companion he had. With anyone else, he could just throw around fun facts about stuff and he would appear intelligent, but Nina was already smart. She was a genius, just like he was. Nina grabbed his hand and pulled it onto her laps, holding it close.

The Doctor reached into his pocket to pull out the little Eiffel Tower. Nina looked at it, a warm smile on her face.

"I love it," she told him. "Thank you." Nina took off her bracelet to pass it through the small hole on top of her Eiffel Tower. The Doctor then secured it back onto her wrist.

Just as they locked their hands together once more, Nina felt another wave of pain wash over her. She let go of his hand to bring both if her hands to her hair, gripping it tightly. The Doctor had said that the whole instability would go away after 24 hours, and so would her headache. But he also said that it would get much worse before it got better, and she was already 22 hours in.

The Doctor threw his arm around her shoulders, pulling her onto him. He knew that she was in some unspeakable pain, but he also knew there wasn't much he could do for her. He held her tight as her smaller body squirmed and she whimpered in agony.

"I'm right here," he whispered to her. Then, the Doctor had an idea. He reached to her head with his free hand and sent a telepathic pulse that immediately put Nina to sleep. She was maybe still in pain, but she wouldn't be awake to feel it. The Doctor pulled her onto his lap, laying her over him, and that's where they staye for hours. Soon enough, Rory and Amy went to found the two and they found them on the bench in silence, Nina sleeping on him. They sat by his side, keeping him company.

♧♧♧

Nina woke up in the room she knew was hers, because she had already been given it by the other, younger Doctor. She stood up slowly, realizing that the constant pain in her head was gone. She sighed in relief, going to her closet, where the TARDIS had prepared her a couple of outfits.

Nina changed into a black t-shirt and into some new Jean's, and threw a greenish blue plaid shirt on top of it all, keeping her bracelet and her shoes.

but as soon as she walked out the door of her room, her heart caught in her throat. The halls weren't the same anymore, this was the other TARDIS. The first TARDIS she met.

Wherever she was, this Doctor was younger than the other one. She walked to the console room, where she caught the sight of the Doctor. Martha was also there, sitting on the seat of the console.

As soon as the Doctor saw her, he froze. Nina frowned. Was this the first time she came back since she disappeared in his infirmary?

"What..." he mumbled, still staring at Nina.