xvii

Nina woke up on the ground, her head throbbing as she opened her eyes. She looked around for a minute, disoriented, but then she realized what was going on. The Doctor was laying on the stairs, and she was on top of them, a few feet away, next to the TARDIS. Exactly like in her vision. Nina's heart started to race when she remembered that in her vision, the Doctor was dying.

She looked around to see Amy and Rory holding each other, and Melody a few feet away, looking at the Doctor, who was now unconscious on the ground. It took all of her strength to sit up. Only then Nina noticed another Amy standin a few meters away. This Amy looked mostly like a robot, to be honest.

"Who's River Song?" Melody asked, her face and voice filled with sadness. Amy and Rory shared a look, before Amy walked Robot Amy.

"Are you still working because I'm still a relative? Access files on River Song," Amy told herself.

"Records available," Robot Amy told her. Nina frowned. Had she hit her head too hard?

"Show me her," Amy told her. "Show me River Song."

And just like magic, Robot Any turned into Robot River Song, and both Nina and Melody realized that they were exactly the same person. Melody Pond was River Song. I mean, it was pretty obvious. The name gives it up immediately. Melody turned back to the Doctor, her eyes getting teary. Only then she noticed Nina on the ground, her gaze fixed on the Doctor. She thought about what the Doctor had said.

"Melody, what did he say? The Doctor gave you a message for River Song. What was it?" Amy asked her daughter. River took a few steps towards the Doctor, her hands starting to glow.

"Melody," Nina called out, making her headache rip through her skull. She managed to speak loud enough so she could catch the woman's attention. "Think about this. Think about what you're doing."

"Just tell me, is he worth it?" Melody asked her. "The Doctor?" What could Nina possibly say to that. She barely knew the man. He was very important to her, yes. Extremely important, but she didn't know him. Not the same way he knew her.

"I've only just met him," Nina revealed to her.

"If he dies, you're the only one left," River said, not as a question, but more as a reminder to herself. Nina hadn't thought about that. She was going to be the only surviving TimeLord. Again. She nodded her head.

"Yes," Nina told her sadly.

"Then he's worth it," she said, crouching down next to his head. She slowly placed her hands on the sides of his face, making him inhale sharply as his eyes shot open.

"River, no," the Doctor whispered as soon as he understood what River was doing. Nina hated her self for not stopping her, for letting her do this for the Doctor, but she simply couldn't. She couldn't watch the Doctor die and do nothing about it, and she sure wouldn't survive it if she did it herself, so River was the only option left. "What are you doing?" The Doctor whispered. River smiled.

"Hello, sweetie," she whispered back to him, placing a soft but tender kiss on his forehead. Apart form the Doctor and River, Nina was the only one who knew what happening. She watched as River transferred her regeneration energy into the Doctor. She watched the colour soon return to his pale face, as his hands started glowing alongside hers.

♧♧♧

As soon as the Doctor recovered from his almost regeneration, they brought an unconscious River to the hospital. The Doctor explained what happened to her, and thanked her for all she did, also telling her that she shouldn't have done that and that it was enormously stupid.