xli

Nina walked out of the room after a while, only to find the a half naked Doctor with a towel around his waist. He had an electric toothbrush in hand and was running up the stairs. "Craig?" he yelled, sounding worried. Nina pushed aside all thoughts she was having at the moment and ran after him, finding him and Craig at the bottom of the stairs. 

"Sorry, I thought you might be in trouble," the Doctor explained to Craig. Nina couldn't help but be amused by the scene. The Doctor's hair was wild, completely out of control, strands standing up in every direction. Craig chuckled.

"Thanks," he laughed. "Well, if I ever am, you can come save me with my toothbrush," he pointed at the Doctor's hand. A telephone went off in the living room and Craig left the two of them at the bottom of  the stairs.

"What's going on?" Nina asked him in a hushed voice. "And why are you naked?"

"What--" he stopped when he realized he was actually naked, reaching for his towel to hold it more securely. "Shut up. There was a noise, didn't you hear it?" Nina frowned.

"Not, really, no."

"Interesting," he frowned right back at her.

"What is?"

"It was a pretty loud noise. A loud bang. A big, loud bang."

"I was in a room behind closed doors," Nina responded. "I didn't hear it."

"The room you were in also has a ceiling. You should have heard it."

"Hello!" said a woman's voice. The two turned towards the source of the noise and saw a young woman walking in.

"Hello!" the Doctor exclaimed, his worried frown disappearing. "I'm the Doctor," he said, running down the stairs, hand still holding his towel. "You must be Sophie," he proceeded to air kiss her in both cheeks and then walk back into the living room.

"Sorry about that, he doesn't realize how weird it can be for you to kiss a naked man you don't know," Nina apologized, extending her hand. "I'm Nina. We're Craig's new roommates. You must be Sophie."

"Uh, yeah," the woman nodded. The two walked back into the living room to see Craig and the Doctor talking. 

"We've got a match today, Pub league.  We're one down, if you fancy it?" Craig asked. Nina sighed, already knowing the Doctor didn't know what that meant. 

"Pub League? A drinking competition?" he tried to guess.

"Football," Nina told him, a hand on his shoulder. She immediately took it away when she remembered that he wasn't wearing any clothes. 

"Football! Yes, blokes play football," he nodded, remembering the words Amy had spoken to him. "I'm good at football, i think."

"Are you?" Nina whispered to him. 

"Probably," he shrugged.

"Thanks mate, just saved my life." Craig welcomed Sophie whilst the Doctor walked to the fridge and grabbed a jug of milk, opening it and drinking. 

"Do you play, Sophie?" the Doctor asked, frowning as Nina took the jug from his hands and set it down on the counter. Sophie laughed.

"No, no, she stands on the side lines," Craig chuckled. "She's my mascot."

"I'm your masc- mascot?" 

"Well, not my mascot, you- you know. But it's a football match, I can't take a date." Nina and the Doctor shared a look, feeling the awkwardness coming from him.

"I didn't say I was your date," Sophie said.

"Neither did I," Craig quickly added. 

There was a long silence before Nina grabbed the Doctor's arm and pulled him towards their room. "Come on, you better get dressed." 

"Right," he nodded, handing Craig's toothbrush back to him.

"Spare kit," Craig told him. "Bottom drawer."

"Thanks Craig!" Nina smiled and closed the door behind her.