vi

Marvelous Doctor Who Quote of the day:

"Rest is for the weary, sleep is for the dead.”

-The Obviously Restless Sixth Doctor

Word count: 1902

The two TimeLords walked to the man, who was now back to his normal humanoid form, naked on the ground.

"He's back to being human, then," Nina mumbled, watching the unconscious man on the floor. "It's kind of pitiful."

"Eliot saw that, too," he informed her. "This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper."

The two locked eyes for a second, before looking down with sadness at the man.

♧♧♧

The two walked outside. Lazarus' body had been carried away by the paramedics, he had been found dead. He was the third death Nina had witnessed int his universe, and she had only been there for about an hour. She couldn't help but think it was her fault. It wasn't her fault that Lazarus had tried to evolve the human race, make them something they aren't, but she knew death followed her wherever she went. Maybe if she hadn't been there, there wouldn't have been three deaths. Maybe the people would have been just fine, going back to their families and friends, as a human should. Maybe.

"There you are!" A voice snapped her out of her thoughts. Martha was running towards them. She hugged the Doctor and then hugged Nina. "I'm so glad you're okay."

Suddenly, Martha's mother came up from behind her, pulling Martha away from the two. She approached the Doctor and slapped him across the face. Nina snorted at the scene and at the face the Doctor made, grabbing his face.

"Stay away from my daughter, the two of you," she told them, stepping back to face Martha.

"Mum, what are you doing?" Martha yelled at her mother.

"Always the mothers," the Doctor mumbled, still holding his face. "Every time." Nina chuckled and grabbed his face in her hands, caressing it with her thumb.

"Stop whining, you'll be alright," she told him with a kind smile.

"They are dangerous, I've been told things," Martha's mother told her daughter, catching Nina's and the Doctor's attention.

"What are you talking about?" Martha asked. Nina and the Doctor shared a look. Mrs. Jones grabbed her daughter's arms, making the girl face her.

"Look around you," she pointed out. "Nothing but death and destruction." Nina tensed up beside the Doctor, and he noticed, taking her hand. The two of them could see how the other was just as tired of seeing people die as themselves. The Doctor finally realized how Nina also blamed herself for everything bad that happened, just like he did, even if he did his best to make things right, every single time.

"This isn't their fault, they saved us!" Martha argued. "All of us."

"It was Tish who invited everyone to this thing in the first place," Leo came to his sister's aid. "I'd say, technically, it's her fault." Tish rolled her eyes and elbowed him in the ribs.

There was suddenly a crash, and the Doctor and Nina didn't hesitate before they started running, two blocks down the street, until they found the ambulance that was supposed to be transporting Lazarus. It had crashed into a tree by the side of the road. Nina froze as soon as she saw two more dead people inside, their lives just absorbed from them.

5.

There had already been five deaths, in about an hour. Nina didn't know how she would be able to live with this for a day, of a week, or a year.