Chapter 17: 'The Truth Comes to Play'

"Hear what?" Kira said, confusion and worry overtaking what hurt she felt as Officer Sachhi led her over to where Axel and Officer Crystal were.

"Whats going on?" Kira asked Officer Crystal, to which Axel looked up at her.

"I didn't do it alone." He practically snarled, to which Kira's eyes widened.

"You're confessing to the crime?" She said for clarification, shocked.

"No shit. I'm not getting out of this, but I'm not going down alone, I regret it with everything I am, you have to understand it was my last resort." Axel said, silent tears running down his face as he spoke, Kira listening closely.

"Why did you do it?" Kira questioned, glancing at Officer Crystal who made sure to hold Axel back tightly.

"I had to, I had to do it okay? He refused to help me, I did everything for that man and I got nothing in return. I just wanted to write, and when I wanted the credit I deserve he refused. He was horrible, but I regret it. I regret it so much. He was all I had and I killed him." Axel sobbed, almost collapsing but being held up by Officer Crystal.

"Alright Axel, now what do you mean 'you're not going down alone'? Someone else was involved? How and who?"

"They got me the poison. The bottle you found in the book? Yeah, it was mine. I got it from some random person in the street months ago, and when I tried it, it didn't work. It was a lethal poison."

Officer Crystal nodded, looking over at Kira.

"Yeah, he's right. And that's why it was basically still full, he must've just tested out a few drops of it."

Axel nodded, glancing between both Kira and Crystal as tears continued streaming down his face.

"I'm glad you're confessing to all this, but Axel, who else was involved?" Kira asked frantically, to which Axel looked her dead in the eyes.

"Juno."

"I knew it-"

"And Leona."

At this Kira paused, glancing over to where Juno and Leona were, her heart dropping as she saw Claire standing with them.

"So what, they gave you the poison then? Why'd Juno show up?"

Kira was trying to figure out how to go about this. On one hand Axel could be lying, on the other hand, he could be telling the truth and everyone in this room could be in danger.

"They have a business, the Castillo Business is its underground name, I know they have an actual company of some sort, but I have no clue what it is. All I know is that those two do jobs for people. I found them, and Leona got me the poison. She sent Juno here tonight to make sure they got the money and everything went smoothly."

Axel's head dropped, knowing what his confession would lead him to. He was never getting out of prison, and honesty he knew he deserved it. He wasn't sure how he was even going to live with himself after what he'd done. He was just so angry with Zakou. And now he was dead. All thanks to him.

Now Leona, she isn't stupid. Or blind.

She lowered her head slightly, secretly nudging Juno, jerking her head towards where Kira and Axel were talking.

Juno looked to where Leona showed, seeing the detective glance away from them, Axel crying as he spoke.

Then he saw it.

The faint smile on Axel's lips as they made eye contact.

Juno quickly stood up straight, Leona following, the pair staring down Axel with hatred.