Flashback 11- 'Small Town Girl: Pt 2'

Claire was worried.

One of her new regular customers, who she has still failed to learn the name of, hasn't shown up in three days.

That's two days longer than the normal amount she misses.

It had been a few weeks since their first encounter, and Claire had somehow started to like her, though knowing relativity nothing about her.

Although Claire had known she was bisexual since middle school, she wasn't used to having an upfront girl crush. She seemed to have mostly preferred guys, but this girl was different.

She intrigued Claire.

She made Claire want to chase after her, which was new.

And so, she worried.

After a more busy day than normal, Claire was more than ready to go home. But she waited by the register, smiling a little.

Ever since the girl heard her singing those few weeks ago, she'd been humming and singing around more during day hours, earning her many remarks and compliments on her voice.One person even asked her if she was a singer!

All those compliments may be going to her head a little however, her dreams becoming bigger and broader as her thoughts drifted further and further away from her hometown.

She knew she never wanted to be famous, it was too much work to maintain. She was clever, wanting to be the center of attention, always. So why not be a local celebrity somewhere?

But for now, Claire rested her arms on the front counter, leaning her head down against them as she stared at the front door in longing, wishing for her to walk through the doors. 

Glancing over the clock, she saw it was 11:45, around the time the girl would come in, she got a different kind of cookie every time. Always cookies though.

She sighed, closing her eyes a bit as she waited in the silence.

She then harshly jumped when the bell on the door rang.

Rubbing her eyes tiredly, smearing her mascara slightly, she looked up to see who she'd been waiting for.

She didn't hesitate, running out from behind the counter and standing in front of her.

"What's your name?" She practically demanded, looking up at the girl with intent.

The girl blinked, merely staring at Claire for a few moments.

She then gave a soft smile, rolling her eyes slightly.

"Kira Harris." She said, stepping back a little and holding her hand out for Claire to shake.

Claire grinned, taking her hand and shaking it with a slight giggle.

"If you wanted my name Claire, you could've asked way before now. Seeing how easy it was for me to get yours." She, Kira said, pointing towards Claire's small name tag before putting her hands back into her nice jacket.

Claire flushed a little from embarrassment.

"Right, I was just nervous I guess. You are quite attractive, you know." Claire said casually, pulling out her charm and sending a quick wink over to Kira who's eyes went wide, seemingly biting her lip to fight back a smile.

Claire smirked, having completed her mission as she gracefully went back behind the counter to take Kira's order.

"Right, welcome to Sadie's Sweets and treats, you know the deal, what can I get for you beautiful?" She smiled, sweeping some of her hair onto her shoulder and batting her eyes a little at Kira.

Kira chuckled a bit, giving Claire an amused yet obviously flustered look.

"Just two oatmeal raisin cookies is fine." She tells her, clearing her throat and retaining her more cold persona.

Claire frowned slightly, taking out the cookies slowly, trying to think of more small talk. Hopefully small talk that would end up with Kira's number in her hand.

"So, where have you been the past few days? you're normally here quite often you know, I missed you."

Kira nodded a bit, avoiding eye contact with Claire slightly.

"I was working on a case outside of town, it was a few hours of a drive and it took two days." She told her, watching Claire as she rang up the cookies, though she was more focused on Kira.

"A case? For what?"

"I'm a detective, it was a robbery of the major bank there."

"Did you catch the person?"

"Yes, it just took a little more time than normal. I'm still not very used to getting called so far out of town." Kira sighed, smiling a little at Claire, who smirked.

"Really? You must be really smart then, being a detective. Seeing as I just work at a coffee shop." Claire said, letting her smile drop.

Maybe this detective with connections could be more useful to her than she thought.

"I see, but for the record, you're a very talented singer. I'm sure you could get a gig somewhere around town."

Claire shrugged sadly, handing her the bag of cookies Kira asked for.

"I suppose, but I'm not sure if anyone around here would let me sing for them, there's not many places for me to sing anyways."

Kira's face then lit up, to which she then quickly recovered from it, slyly covering her face with her sleeve as she looked away.

"I could always try and get you one in the town where I just worked at? They have plenty of places for you to sing at, seeing as they're mostly well known for this guy putting on plays." She told her, lowering her arm as Claire smiled sweetly.

"Really? That would be amazing! I don't know how to thank you!" Claire said leaning over the counter slightly, Kira smiling nervously as their faces got much closer together.

"Uh, do you have a pen?" Kira said, nervously for the first time as she genuinely smiled at Claire.

Claire grinned, fishing around in her apron and digging out a purple pen, handing it to Kira.

"Could I see your hand for a moment?"

Claire nodded, holding out her hand, to which Kira gently took, scribbling down something.

"Here, call me whenever you'd like to get more details, and maybe hang at?" Kira asked shyly.

"Sure! I'd love to get to know you more, detective." Claire said, smiling over at Kira again who looked away, smiling with a flustered luck.

"Right, I'll see you tomorrow then, Claire."

Kira gave a quick wave, taking a few steps back before turning around and leaving quickly.

Claire jumped around a few times, happily looking down at the number on her hand.

-----------------

Unedited

Word Count: 1113

Hi everyone!! I hope you all enjoyed the chapter, make sure to vote and leave your thoughts down below! I love you guys! See you next chapter! Have an amazing day/night, bye!