Flashback 9- 'Small Town Girl: Pt 1'

Claire wiped her forehead quickly, quickly then re-wiping her hands on her apron.

No, working as a waitress in her hometown was not her dream, but it gave her a roof to live under and food on her plate.

Her parents were always big on her being independent and although she knows they mean well, she wanted to be spoiled and praised for everything. This kind of life just wasn't for her, but she could deal with it.

She heard the bell on the front door ding again, taking a breath and plastering on a smile before turning around.

"Hi! Welcome to Sadie's Sweets and Treats! What can I help you with today?"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It was later that day when Claire was towards the back, cleaning up.

It was only fifteen minutes to closing time, so she decided to start cleaning up early, still knowing there was probably going to be at least one annoying customer who came in just before they closed.

She was quietly humming to herself, hearing her coworker in the back room, talking loudly on the phone.

Hey, Claire might not be the best fit for this job, but at least she did her job.

It was only a minute or two later when she heard a loud metal clang.

She looked up, sighing loudly to herself as she realized her coworker had snuck out the back door.

Again.

Leaving Claire to close up the store all on her own.

Again.

At least now, she could sing without worrying about getting anyone mad at her.

Her quiet humming turned into soft singing, which slowly got louder.

She smiled to herself, twirling the broom she had in her hands, jokingly singing "It's a Hard Knock Life" from Annie as she swept around the counter.

She heard the soft ding of the bell on the door again, lowering her voice quickly, but determined to finish the song as she put the broom down, dusting herself off as she made her way behind the register again.

"Welcome to Sadie's Sweets and Treats! I do need to let you know that we close in ten minutes, but what can I help you with today?"

The girl was slightly taller than Claire, dressed in almost all black, her midnight colored dreads pulled into a neat bun on her head.

"I'll just take two sugar cookies, thank you." She said politely, slightly intimidating as she stood tall and almost regal like.

"Sure! That'll be $6.75." Claire said sweetly, grabbing the tongs for the sugar cookies and pulling two out, dropping them into one of the store's white bags and sealing it nicely.

She placed the bag on the counter, seeing the girl already had ten dollars in her hand, which Claire took, ringing her up.

"I heard you singing before I came in, you're talented."

Claire paused for a moment, glancing over to see no change in her expression. She seemed very professional and blunt.

"Oh! Uh, thank you, I didn't think anyone could hear me outside the store." She admitted, finishing ringing her up, and holding out the bag for the girl to take.

She took them, looking Claire up and down slightly.

"Well I could, I enjoyed your singing."

She stole a quick look at the clock on the nearby wall, nodding her head slightly.

"Right, I'll be back this time tomorrow. Have a lovely evening, I hope to hear you again."

She then turned on her heel, quickly exiting the place.

Claire didn't realize she was blushing until she felt the heat rising up to her cheeks.

She decided then it was her mission to learn that professional girl's name. 

-------------------

Unedited

Word Count: 648  

Hello again! I hope you all enjoy this little flashback series! Make sure to vote and comment your thoughts! I hope everyone has an amazing day/night, see you all next time! Bye!