Chapter 23: Say Something

What defines us is how well we rise after falling.
___________________________________________________________________

I feel like giving up. I feel like running away. But, I still can only think of his needs first. We are best friends and I need to be there for him. But, first I need to stop crying. I take deep breaths trying to calm myself as I close my eyes and count to ten. My body stops shaking and my heart rate slows down. I slowly look at myself and cringe. My eyes are so puffy and swollen from crying so hard. I turn on the faucet and wait for it to warm up before splashing my face. I wash my face vigorously hoping to wash away all the pain. Which doesn't help. But, those drama classes I had to take in high school are about to pay off. No more. At this very moment I am moving on. I grab a few paper towels and dry my face. 

"Maya." Lily says walking into the bathroom. 

I look up at her from drying my face and give her a half smile. 

"Yeah." I reply. 

"Are you okay?" She asks softly as she stands in front of me. 

I'm not. But, I'm going to work on it. 

"Yeah." I say as I throw away the used paper towels. "I had a moment. But, the moment is done and over with." I say with a shrug. 

"Maya." She says softly placing her hand on my shoulder. "You know you took things wrong out there. He was talking about you."

No he wasn't. 

"It's fine." I say forcing a smile. "He needs me. I'm going to be a good best friend and be there for him." I say and shake her hand off my shoulder. 

"Maya." She says as I walk to the door. 

"Are you coming?" I ask looking at her with a closed mouth smile. 

"Yeah." She lowly drags out. 

She trails behind me as I walk back to his room. Bill and John stand there looking at me concerned. 

"Hey Maya, how are you doing?" Bill asks. 

"Yeah." John says. "You really gave us a scare."

"I'm okay." I say smiling at them. "Like I told Lily. I had a moment. But, the moment is done and over with." 

"You're scaring me." Lily says with so much worry. 

I turn to her smiling bigger with my closed smile. 

"No need. I'm getting better. I am okay."

I will be. 

"How is he doing in there?" I ask as I turn to face Bill and John. 

"He needs you." Bill says. 

I internally roll my eyes. 

"Okay. Let him know I am here. See if he's up for a visitor."