Chapter 15

Cole's POV

Nya and I walk out the door to the gym. We both had a light day today. She's been very quiet, and I know why. She looks sad, like something's on her mind. I place a hand on her shoulder.

"Nya...," I say her name softly. She looks up at me.

"Yes, Cole?" she says softly.

"Are you holding up fine? I heard what happened to you, and I wanted to check if you were okay, but Skylor wouldn't tell me where you were and...," I start trying to explain myself.

"I'm fine," she snaps then sighs. "Thank you for asking. It's a lot to handle, but it's fine."

"Are you upset with Skylor?" I question. If I were Nya, I would be. Skylor ditched her to take care of Kai instead of her and leaving her alone.

"Why would I? She's known him longer," she gets a bit defensive. I sigh.

"I'm sorry. I just want to make sure you're alright," I sigh. "If you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me."

"Thank you. I appreciate it," she smiles. We walk into the lobby, and not only is Juliet sitting where she usually sits, but Lloyd is sitting with her. Instead of reading her magazine as usual, she is talking to him. Zane is there too, but he looks bored and unamused. "I'm going to go shower up now." Nya walks away, and I smile as she goes. I then walk over to the group of people.

"Cole," Lloyd smile when he sees me. "Juliet was just telling me about the time she convinced her parents to let her go to the city when they were strictly against it by using her powers. Tell him." he nudges Juliet next to him.

"Well," she smiles over at Lloyd before looking at me. "My parents were super against the city, cause there's so much and crime and stuff, but I was able to keep them in a happy state throughout the whole conversation and recorded it so they couldn't say they didn't agree."

"How did you like the city?" Lloyd asks her. She purses her lips.

"I'll never know. I was on my way when I got caught," she sighs, and the look on Lloyd's face automatically drops.

"I'm sorry. I never got to go to the city either," he tells her. Zane clears his throat.

"Rule 11," he pretends to cough. Juliet rolls her eyes.

"Does it hurt you to let go for just a little bit? Rules are just there to keep you from having fun, and what's life without fun?" she asks Zane with a little smirk on her face.

"Orderly and safe," he deadpans. She shrugs.

"Oh well, whatever," she brushes him off. In the distance behind her, Kai and Jay step out of the elevator together. Jay has on shorts and a tank top, ready to go on a jog. Kai, on the other hand, looks like he just woke up. His hair is a mess, and he has bags under his eyes. He has on grey sweatpants and a red sweatshirt. Jay whispers something in Kai's ear, pats him on the back, and puts in his earbuds before jogging out, giving the rest of us a wave. Kai goes to the front desk and gets a bowl of cereal.

"Kai, come join us," Zane offers. Kai shakes his head.

"I kind of want to be alone right now," he sadly smiles. "But thank you." He walks back over to the elevator and presses the up button. When the door opens, both Nya and Skylor are standing there. Kai's face automatically falls.

"Nya...," he starts to try to talk to her. She ignores him, brushing past him. She doesn't even look back. Kai watches her as she walks away then looks back at Skylor.

"Did you try to talk to her?" he asks her. Skylor nods.

"She was super unresponsive. I'm not going to get through to her," she tells him realistically, which makes him sigh.

"Of course."

"She can't stay mad at you forever. Come on, let's go for a walk," she suggests, seemingly forgetting Nya stormed off. Kai sighs, but complies, putting down his cereal and walking out with her. Throughout this whole event, Lloyd and Juliet started talking again.

"Don't follow her Cole. If she needs you, she'll find you," Zane reads my mind, looking over at me.

"But...," I start.

"Cole, I know you really like her, but we both know that's against the rules. Maybe it's better to let her go off right now, so you can have some you time. You basically only talk about her anyways," he advises me.

"That's not...," I start off, but then I try to think to a time I wasn't thinking about Nya, and there isn't one. "You just don't understand how it feels to like a girl. Neither does Jay."

"My personal experiences don't alter the rules, Cole," Zane looks down and starts reading the dictionary in his hands. "For once, Jay is the only smart one. He at least knows flirting with girls will get him nowhere."

---

Jay's POV

"Hey, I really like your shirt today. It's nice," I complement Nya on her blue blouse. She smiles.

"Thank you. I decided to kick red out of my wardrobe," she admits, sitting down on the couch I have down here. I sit down next to her.

"Nya...," I start, making her groan.

"I've heard the 'you can't be mad at him your whole life' speech so many times already, I don't need to...."

"I wasn't going to say that," I admit. She looks puzzled. "I was going to say that I know how you feel."

"Cause your parents," she explains.

"You remember," I smile, and she smiles back.

"Of course," she sits there and smiles up at me. Her brown eyes reflect the light from the lamp next to us. My breath shortens just looking at her.

"I understand that hatred that's flowing through you right now. It flows through me too," I take her hands in mine, making a little smile appear on her face,"but if my parents came and tried to explain why they left, I'd at least try to hear them out. Maybe he has a good reason." I keep my voice soft. She sighs.

"You're right," subtly, she moves her hands so our fingers become intertwined. My heart starts beating rapidly. "I'll give him a chance when I'm ready. I'm still overwhelmed. I never thought I'd see him again. It's all so much."

"And that makes sense. Take your time," I tell her, and she smiles.

"Can we work on the key machine please?" she asks me. I nod.

"Of course."

A/N

I thought of the best idea for a story once I'm done with this one (no one is gonna read it but oh well it's going to be fun)

I considered stopping this one and starting that one but then i thought I might as well finish this one 

Next chapter is about to be intense FYI so just a heads up