Chapter 5 - Cream

Start from the beginning

"And those shots were mainly just cream..." I let my tongue swipe across my lips, watching him as his mouth opened slightly. He quickly closed it, his jaw stiff with the gritting of his teeth. 

"You know what? She's your friend. You deal with her! You girls do whatever the fuck you want!" He spoke to Elena, shooting me a glare before barging out the bar, lighting a cigarette on his way. 

"What the hell is his problem?" Elena stared at her brother's exiting figure before looking at me.

"I have no idea," I said, innocently with a shrug of the shoulders. 

"Sisi, please come to the bonfire. Actually, stay the night!"

"Definitely not!" I cut her off as I saw her mouth open again.

"Please? My parents are away for their anniversary. You cannot leave me with that moody child, whose probably going to bring home that big boobed airhead, Alicia. Then I have Tino and Cami on the other side of my room. You can not leave me there to fend for myself." She spoke exasperatedly. 

"Then find yourself a man for the night and join in with the choirs." I shot her a grin. 

"Are you mad!? I will be sentencing the boy to death the instant Nico or my Dad finds out." 

"You're 24 Elena, not fucking 15." I furrowed my brows. She's being dramatic, surely.

"Ha! You clearly haven't experienced an overprotective father and brother." She scoffed. 

"No, clearly not..." I trailed off, feeling myself retracting in confidence and charisma. 

I used to have that. The brother, at least. My father was never much of a father, but more of a dictator which was not done out of love. 

"I have a better idea! We can skip the bonfire and I'll come home with you for the night!" She spoke excitedly, pleased with her new plan. 

"No!" I blurted, catching her off guard. "I mean, not today. The place is a mess. Fine, I'll stay. I just need to make a phone call before we leave." 

She nodded, skipping out of the bar as I headed to the ladies' bathroom. Shit, I need to keep up appearances and this is starting to get harder the closer I become to this family. I need to get this done quickly. I took my phone out from my pocket, dialing Benjamin. 

"Sierra?"

"Benji, I am so sorry to be calling you so late." 

"That's fine. Is everything alright?" 

"I need a small favor?" I sang out to him. 

"You want me to check on Abuelita (Granny)?"

"If you could? I'm working late tonight, unsure of the time I will be getting home." 

"No worries, Sierra. I got you." 

"Thank you! You are amazing!" I sighed in relief.

"I know I am, now off you go." 

I laughed before bidding adieu and slipping my phone into my pocket. Benjamin was our next-door neighbor. Very sweet man who has been more than happy to assist with my gran whenever needed. We met the first night we arrived at the apartment. He noticed me trying to carry the grocery bags, as well as help Abuelita to walk up the stairs. In the process, I dropped a couple of canned food and he was there at my feet to pick it all up. Since then, we have been good friends and he adores Abuelita. 

When I arrived outside, Elena was on her own, waiting for me. We eventually got a cab and headed back to her place. Upon arriving, we headed down to the beach. I took off my boots, letting my toes feel the soft sand granules beneath them. Nico was nowhere to be found, Tino and Cami were kissing on a picnic blanket close to the fire. Elena dragged me to the area where the music was blasting through the air. And we are back to the booming sounds of this generation. Ugh.