Chapter 4 Reach the Heart

Start from the beginning

She clutched at it with both hands and greedily drained to the bottom. The water softens her throat and the breathing became easier. Giving the empty cup to Omer, Defne lay back on the pillows and closed her eyes. The doctor patted her hand encouragingly and ordered:

- Rest. You need to gain strength. - He looked at Omer. - Let the monitor remain on until morning. And then we'll see. If your wife will ask to drink - you can safely give water. In the morning, try to feed her. She is very exhausted and the restoration of physical strength is no less important than the return of consciousness.

Omer nodded and thanked the doctor. When the door closed behind him, he carefully covered Defne with a sheet and sat down beside her. As usually took her hand in his, but she freed her and turned away to the wall.

Omer sat in an uncomfortable hospital chair and with mixed feelings looked at the thin back and redhead of his wife. She came to her senses and his happiness was boundless. But it seems that the presence of her husband was not at all pleased. And from this thought melancholy ached in his chest.

When Defne's breathing became quiet and measured, he went out into the corridor and wrote messages to Nihan and Sinan. There were only two words in them: "Defne awoke."

In the morning, the entire Topal family, as well as Iso and Sinan, appeared in the hospital. As an exception, the doctor allowed everyone to go to the ward. But at the same time, he made a condition that her relatives would behave with restraint. Topal easily agreed to the demand. The reason was simply explained: when Nihan read Omer's message into the voice, each family member threw out his raging joy and quite calm people came to the hospital. There were tears and embraces, but without hysterical crises. Nihan and the grandmother were seated in armchairs, the others surrounded the bed of Defne and did not take happy eyes from her. Omer stood by the window and watched his wife and her relatives.

Interrupting each other, they told their Defne the latest news. She was pale, with dark circles under her eyes, half-sitting on the bed and, smiling with bloodless lips, listened to her relative's voices.

Defne tried not to attach great importance to the fact that Omer was in the ward. She did not understand why he is here. Why he was with her at night. There was no logic in his presence here in the hospital, and she decided not to think about it yet.
When there was a pause in the conversation, Defne looked at Iso and asked:
"Tell me what happened."
- And what's the last thing you remember? - in reply asked Iso.
Defne frowned thoughtfully.
- I remember sitting on the bench. Then I got up and went to the water's edge. In the eyes darkened ... I heard you calling me by name ... nothing else.
Omer held his breath. He, like Defne, wanted to hear this part of the story.

"Nihan called me," Iso began his story. - She said you went to the waterfront. I ran after you. You stood at the very edge. I had to reach some hundred meters, as you swayed and fell into the water. I jumped for you. But in that place, it is very deep and the water is muddy ... I had to dive three times until I saw you and could lift you to the surface. Thanks to the people on the waterfront. By the time I pulled you out, they had already called an ambulance. It arrived quickly. You did not breathe and there was no pulse. I tried to give you artificial respiration. Then the doctors arrived ... You came to your senses. You even recognized me and spoke. And then turned off again. An ambulance brought you here ... That's the whole story.

- And how long have I been here?

"Ten days," Nihan answered instead of Iso. In her voice, the whimsical notes that had disappeared earlier appeared again. - You frightened us, girl! If I give birth prematurely, just know - you are guilty!

Defne looked at her friend and smiled. For the first time in two and a half months. Her smile caused a storm of joy among those present. They looked at each other and their eyes shone with happiness. Omer moved away from the window, approached Defne's bed and took her hand. He gently shook it and reminded her of himself with this gesture.