"Well, do you recall that after America, we were supposed to go to Australia for a short while?" he waits until she nods again before going on, "We had to get the injections so we could go, remember? Well, apparently they think it was a contaminated needle." 

Roxanne shakes her head. Don't get her wrong, she knows better than anyone that mistakes can be made but that, that was somewhat of a big one, wasn't it? He could have lost his arm for crying out loud! And it's been a while since they came home but clearly it was still affecting him in some ways. 

"And as for the album," Freddie continues, "It's so close to being finished. Just a couple of tweaks to be made, one final run through and then it's done." 

"I can't believe that you're on your third album," he gushes, "I'm so excited to hear it." 

"Darling, you know that you don't have to wait until it's released to hear it!" Freddie shakes his head, "You're more than welcome to come down the studio and listen to it."

She does know that but Roxanne, way back when the first record was released, made a vow never to listen to any of their music until it was officially released. And that was what she would do for the entirety of their music career.

"I want to wait," she shrugs, "And experience it like everyone else." 

"Hmm," Freddie sips his tea, "You're a strange one, Roxanne Taylor."

She grins at him, "All the best people are." 

++|++

They have no food in the flat. Nothing. They don't even have eggs and since Roxy had been paid that very same day, she drags a reluctant John off of the couch so they can go to the supermarket and get some shopping. 

"What do we need?" he asks as they climb out of the car. 

"Everything." 

It's quite late on in the evening and so there are not many people about which is good. They can get in and out in no time at all.

"Alright," he nods to the trolly he's pushing, "Wanna get in?" 

"No!" she laughs and he raises an eyebrow, "Alright, yes." 

They get some strange looks as he helps her into the trolly and once she's safely sat down, he pushes it into the produce aisle and she hands the list she'd made back to him. 

"Did Freddie tell you he's going to ask Mary to marry him?" Roxy asks, craning her neck back so she can look at him.

"He did," he hums, apologising when the lettuce he throws into the trolly hits her in the face, "I'm happy for them." 

"Me too," she nods, "I love weddings." 

John chuckles and ruffles her hair as they both fall silent while he concentrated on finding everything on her list, occasionally handing her a packet of biscuits or crisps that she's wanting and suddenly, as they're turning into the next aisle, one of the last aisles, he remembers the call he got while she was at work, "Hey, Rox-" 

"Oh!" he hears her say loudly, "Wait, reverse!" 

Rolling his eyes, he does as she says and he sees what she's wanting, immediately feeling his face flushing as she reaches out to grab a box of condoms, "Roxy,"  

"What?" she asks, not noticing that his face is bright red, she's too busy looking at the kinds of toothpaste on the other side of the aisle, "We've run out, haven't we?" 

"Keep your voice down," he hisses as an older couple walk by with their own trolly and she giggles. 

"Sorry." 

They make their way to the tills and the assistant gives the pair a disapproving look as John puts all the stuff up on the belt and only then, Roxy climbs out so she can pack the bags that she's brought with her and once she's paid (John insists on paying at least half), they're on their way back to her car. 

"What were you going to say?" Roxy asks, looking at him, "I kind of interrupted, didn't I?" 

"You did," he nods, smiling when she glares at him, "No, I was just going to say that my mum rang today." 

"She did? She alright?" she asks, pulling out of the space and heading for the car park exit.

He nods again, "Yeah...she says she's coming down on Thursday. She wants to come visit." 

"She is?" Roxanne repeats, "She does?" 

"Wants to meet you." 

She turns her wide gaze on her, her hands clenching the steering wheel, "What? You...why didn't you tell me that before? When we were in there?" 

"Well I did but as you said, you interrupted me," he mumbles, rolling down the window so he can have a smoke, "Why does it matter when I told you?" 

"Because I could have picked up some biscuits!" 

"You got some!" he argues, "In fact, you got three packets." 

"But I could have got some fancier ones!" she shakes her head, "Fancier ones! The ones in that tin!" 

"Rox," he laughs, placing his hand on her arm, "Love, relax. You're worrying about nothing. Mum'll be happy with a plain digestive." 

She chews on her bottom lip. He might say that but she wasn't happy. She'd pick some up tomorrow.

++|++

thinking about Freddie today but i'm also thinking about Brian, Roger and John. i just hope they know that we all love them 💕💕