Chapter 29 - Febbre

Asimina

Jumping to my feet, my breathing is erratic. My heart violently beats in my chest. Spinning my body around and raising the gun, the two Cuban brothers duck for cover as I aim and squeeze the trigger, killing the assassin that entered through the back door.

It takes me a few moments to blink and lower my gun. I keep my eyes on the two brothers, who gawk back, stunned and unsettled while straightening their posture. Both men stand with their mouths open, rendered mute. Swallowing the lump in their throats, they shake their heads and glance at each other.

"Thank you, is the word you're both looking for." I hinder, once my adrenalin subsides slightly.

Finally blinking, Eduardo clears his throat. "Gracias," Victor nods.

My eyes fearfully wander to Raffaele. I've been reluctant to look his way, worried he'll be pissed with my impulsiveness. He heatedly stares, only he's not angry, showing no signs of rage. The fire in his eyes is pure lust and his breathing heavy. Despite my effort to fight back a smile, it curves my lips. Is he turned on? Or am I reading him wrong?

Taking steps forward, he pulls out his phone, making a call without diverting his eyes. "Get the jet ready. I want to be airborne in half an hour, organize our things from the villa to be picked up." Sliding his phone into his pocket, I press my lips together, anxious about what he's thinking. Capturing my wrist, Raffaele turns and hauls me towards the door. "Is there a car out the back?"

"Yes," Victor responds. He drags the dead body into the corridor. "They were ready to barricade this door too. I'm guessing he's waiting for those cunts to make it out first."

Stepping over the dead man, Raffaele wraps an arm around my waist. Holding me pressed against his body, while checking to see the alleyway is clear, he drags me out. I'm forced to take three steps to his one.

Abruptly opening the car door, he pushes me in. Ignoring all of us, he makes a call. "Tommy, we had an attack. Track that fucking Columbian," he orders. He hums and keeps his focus forward. Eduardo roars the engine to life, and Victor takes the front passenger seat. "Tommy, I want you all in Mexico by tomorrow morning. Fill me in then."

Disconnecting the call, he addresses Victor, "Find out who those cunts worked for. I want the report in two days at the Mexican wedding."

"Already on it," Victor confirms.

"I'll send Morelli men to Cuba after the wedding, organize accommodation. I want the docks guarded well when the transfers occur." Raffaele's voice soars as he makes demands.

Without another word, Victor glues the phone to his ear, fulfilling orders. Raffaele hasn't glanced my way. Instead, he makes call after call, Rodriguez being one of those. His final call is to his parents, and he speaks in Italian. I'm not grasping everything he says, but from what I can understand, he's organizing the elite assassins to guard them and our son. Tommy's trusted five who once protected me, I assume. Those men are shadows. I've never even met them.

It gives me peace of mind. Nora and Lucian will do anything for Nathan, and with the assassins around guarding, my mind eases. If he's safe, nothing else matters to me. I come out of my thoughts as I notice the car next to us lowering their windows, my body stiffens the moment Raffaele, grips the back of my neck pushing my head down onto his lap. Eduardo accelerates; revving the car he pumps the gears.

The sudden piercing sound of gunfire sends my heart into overdrive. Digging my nails into Raffaele's thigh, I keep my head lowered as he leans over me. His body tenses as he continues to unload his gun. Victor yells out orders to his brother to run the cars off the road, and the scraping sound of metal heard shortly after makes me cringe. I'm slightly tossed around as he makes impact, bump after bump, before we hear the deafening, squealing sound of tires, along with excessive breaking. Raffaele holds me in place, as Eduardo takes one sharp turn after another.