Chapter 16 - Negotiations

Asimina

I spent all night rolling around in bed, looking at the photo Bianca sent. It's a precious moment between father and son. Raffaele is known to be vicious, yet here he's as soft as a marshmallow. I close my eyes and absorb the sun. I stared at the photo for hours. I noticed a tattoo on his chest; only I couldn't make out what it was. Nathan's head was in the way.

"You're lost in thought." Julia's voice has me opening my eyes.

Last night she and Nick spent hours talking. It turns out Nick was never going to be with Candice; he planned to live under the same roof as her and their child. One of the reasons Nick ended his relationship was to spare Julia from facing his mistake, not the child but Candice. He knew that having that woman around would be a painful reminder. Although he never cheated on Julia, he felt like he had. She's still very much heartbroken, but she's open to the possibility of a reunion, baby steps for now.

"I'm nervous. What if he doesn't accept it, Julia?" I question. She offered to come with me and present the contract, and I'm grateful. The last thing I need is to start arguing and have no one around to intervene. I packed a bag, ready to move into the guest house for the next couple of nights if everything goes well.

This weekend won't be so bad. Lia's and Matteo's wedding is Saturday, so I'll see my baby then. Twirling Paul's ring around, I try to picture him as my husband, but it's Raffaele I envision. Convincing myself to marry Paul will be harder than I thought.

I can't see myself with any other man, yet I'm petrified of putting my trust in Raffaele again after he plunged a knife into my chest and twisted it. The pain is still there. I won't survive another betrayal; I barely survived the first one. I cringe at thoughts from the last year and a half, craving him, needing him, every time I looked at my son, his father came to mind; my heart and soul bled. I just managed to stand on my feet. I can't be brought to my knees again.

"You have been very fair, Mina. I don't see why he wouldn't agree." Julia disrupts my thoughts and attempts to settle me.

We are almost at the Morelli Mansion, and my frenzied nerves are running wild. I keep fidgeting with my ring. "He doesn't only want access to Nathan," I reveal.

"I'm going to ask a question, but don't feel obligated to answer." She glances my way quickly as she pulls into the mansion. "He's trying to make amends. Why are you blocking his attempts?"

Squirming uncomfortably in my seat, I look at the front door as Antonio holds it open. "I don't want it to be like this, Julia. I wish I could just move past it. He's the only man I've ever fallen in love with. It scared me from the start." I glance her way and continue, "I completely surrendered myself to him. I was at his mercy, trusted him. I couldn't see beyond him." Exhaling heavily. I keep my eyes on Julia. "In return, he picked me up and threw me off a cliff into a dark abyss and never looked back. If I let him in, he once again has the power to destroy me. I need to protect myself."

I know she understands, her situation isn't that much different, she nods. "Why are you wearing Paul's ring?"

"Paul is safe. I promised I would try to see a future with him. I owe it to him and myself to think about this, at least."

"I think he's held the door open long enough. Shall we?" Julia encourages me to step out of the car, walking beside me. Antonio moves to the side, allowing us to step in. "Mina, Ms. Miller."

"It's Ms. Alexiou. I never change it back to Miller," Julia corrects.

"Apologies, I wasn't informed you kept your married name." He walks us through to the office, and a daunting feeling starts to consume me. The door opens, revealing Raffaele, Luciano, and Tommy. Raffaele looks handsome in a dark blue suit that perfectly hugs his ridiculously toned body. I mentally roll my eyes.