Chapter 33 - Keep Pretending

Asimina

I take slow steps towards Kat, dragging a chair next to her. The morphine seems to have put her back to sleep. The irritating beeping of the heart monitor rings in my ears, but at least it's overpowering the chaos in my head. I have an atrocious migraine; the pounding relentless. The way the car collided with Kat plays on repeat in my head. The graphic images causing my body to still feel numb and cold.

I take her hand into mine and run my fingers through her hair. Even the strongest of women can suffer at the hands of a disgusting man. That feeling of self-loathing can torment someone. I remember my breaking point in the bathroom of the hospital vividly. When everything finally hit me. The rape. The loss. Raffaele was the one who pulled me out of that dark abyss.

I know how she feels. Our situation may be different, but everyone's woman feels repulsed. You question your fight, your strength. I didn't see any signs of torment in her. She hid it well, she fought it back, and she started to piece herself together again, all on her own.

Kat hums and starts to come out of her drug-infused sleep. "Hey," I speak softly.

Turning to the sound of my voice, she flutters her eyes open. "You're crying," she observes. Attempting to sit up, she hisses in pain.

Stopping her, I force her back down and pick up the remote, adjusting the bed for her instead. "Is that better?"

"Yeah. Thanks," she rasps, licking her dry lips. She asks, "Can I have some water?"

Nodding, I stand and make my way to the table, pouring her a glass from the jug. She sobs softly as she brings the glass to her lips. All of today's events, along with the pain of her injuries and the drugs running through her system, aid in making her feel miserable. My heart breaks for her. This day started with an emotional confession and ended in a horrible accident. It's a lot to process for me, let alone her.

I carefully pull her into my embrace, scared of hurting her. I try to be as gentle as I can. "You're okay," I murmur, running my fingers through her hair just the way she likes it. Ever since she was a kid, she would go from one person to another demanding we play with her hair. It would easily put her to sleep. "Do you know what happened, Kat?"

She nods, leaning back onto the pillow. Then she relays, "Petro gave me the details. I was lucky the driver wasn't speeding." Audibly huffing, she whimpers, "I had my first surgery. It hurts! It sucks!"

"I can imagine it would." Her chest rises and falls quickly with her despairing breath. "What do you need?" I ask. I don't want her getting lost in thought or a deafening silence to fall.

"Some food," she requests. "Thank you."

My features pull together in confusion. "What are you thanking me for? I haven't bought you food yet."

"Everything! Not judging me. Listening!" She presses the button on the patient-controlled analgesia, releasing more pain relief and letting her eyes fuse shut.

"I did nothing!" I mumble.

"You did a lot!" Snapping her eyes open she cries, "Mina, I hate all of this. I loathe Sam." Wiping tears from her face, she questions, "How could my brothers do that?"

"I'm not going to try and defend them, Kat. What they did was wrong."

"I'm not sleeping around, Mina. I'm not!" she proclaims, feeling the need to defend herself. Her lip quivers, overwhelmed with emotion.

"I know. Don't explain."

"Tommy," she whispers distressed. She blows out a harsh breath. "He didn't deserve that."