Chapter 7 - Revelations

Asimina

The moment I step out of Julie's office, my phone rings. Looking at the caller, I mentally roll my eyes. I know I need to have conversations with them and Petro. I was hoping I wouldn't have to face everyone the first week I was back in California. It's bad enough I must deal with one demanding Mr. Morelli.

Nevertheless, I answer the call. "Hi, Lia."

"Mina, can we please meet?" There's desperation in her voice as she pleads with me.

I was harsh on the night of Nat's wedding. I meant every word I said, but at the same time, I didn't want those words to leave my lips. Breathing slowly, I defeatedly accept. They won't stop until I do. "Half an hour at Dose café, I'll meet you there."

"Oh, thank God. I'll see you soon," she responds with relief.

Dose café is only half a block away from Julie's office. I arrive well before my sisters ordering a lasagna with salad for lunch and a coffee. I take a seat, anticipating my food more than anything.

Dose café used to be a regular meeting spot with my sisters and Jaz. It's a small corner café with an industrial setting; reused materials, as well as exposed beams and pipes. The lighting is low hung. The sitting areas are old reused and vanished workbenches. It's unique, and the little touches of the past, bring warmth.

I never thought this day would come, the one where seeing and talking to my sisters would be daunting. I hate the way things are between us. I pictured things differently. I always thought I would be the first to know about their engagements. I wanted to celebrate with them. An invite in the mail to the wedding, as if I'm a distant relative, was hurtful.

I pictured those moments where they would try on a hundred dresses until they found the one—picking color themes and flowers. Easing their wild and frantic nerves, watching their faces glow as the day neared. I feel robbed of my part as their sister.

Then there's my son. I pictured Raffaele holding my hand until that last push. My son and I both in his arms, for his first night. Nat, Lia, and Petro eager to come in and meet their nephew, treating him like a toy, going from one person's arms to another. Instead, here we are, he's ten months, and none of them have any inkling they have a nephew.

My lunch is placed in front of me; it smells divine. Thanking the waitress with a meek smile, I pick up my fork and cut a piece, blowing a little before bringing it to my mouth.

I keep trying to find a way to leave the hurt and anger behind. Only, I hit that brick wall, and I find myself stuck on a never-ending merry-go-round, battling the pros and cons. My fear of being left on the floor crying again wins every time.

"Asimina." Raffaele's voice has me sealing my eyes and breathing out slowly. That voice and the way he says my name weakens me. Swallowing my food, I wipe my mouth with a napkin. Raising my eyes slowly, I bring them up to meet those dark orbs. I hadn't noticed before the dark circles underneath them. He looks defeated and tired.

"Raffaele," placing my napkin down, I lean back in my chair. "I'm waiting to meet my sisters. I told you we would talk tomorrow." I have no energy to yell. What he's doing is shattering me. I believed for the past year and a half, he was bored with me and ended things, just like all his other samplers.

"I saw your Mustang outside. I'll be patient and wait till tomorrow." Unbuttoning his suit jacket, he takes a seat directly in front of me.

"Then why are you getting comfortable?" I question, lowering my eyes. I focus on my lasagna, forking another piece.

Sliding an envelope towards me, his hand slightly touches mine. "I had printed multiple copies, not a day went past, that I didn't look at those. They kept me going."