Chapter 32: Broken Stars

Start from the beginning

"Can I stay too?" Bonnie asks, eyes round.

I dip my head.  "Of course, Bonnie.  You're welcome to stay."

They look confused, and maybe even a little scared at our surroundings; I can't say I blame them.  Lillie looks like she's about to die while Heliux is probably already dead.  It's not the most pleasant of scenes, I think with a wince.

I hear Sylveon make a noise and I turn to see her suddenly at the entrance to the room.  I walk over to her, one of her ribbons still wrapped around my arm.  With one of her remaining feelers she gestures to outside, a tense look on her face.

Ash stands beside me.  I notice that Pikachu is out, but not Greninja.  He gives me a little smile and joins Sylveon, and I smile back.  

"Something wrong?" Ash asks.

"Sylveon is sensing something," I think out loud.  "Come with me."

"Always," he answers, and we both exit the room.  "Maybe we'll find Layra when we're out there.  I didn't even notice when she left, did you?"

I freeze.  "She left?"

Ash seems to get what I'm thinking.  "Drago... of course!  She didn't even react with Heliux earlier... she didn't seem like herself... he must have put a spell on her!"

"No... that can't be," I object.  "Heliux said there were two Layras, one here and one back at your colony.  Layra said that she was the real one... but what if... the real one..."

"Is at the Dark Fairy Colony?" Ash finishes.  "Drago is probably torturing her... wait!  What if Heliux is also a clone?"

I start to say that's not possible, but I stop.  I lost sight of Heliux in the earlier battle.  Drago could have taken him, made a clone, and have the clone approach us.  Two clones, playing out that scene... it sounds like something Drago might think of.

"If Drago made it that a piece of their souls were put into the clones, that means what's happening in the clones is happening in real life," I say, my mouth dry.  "That means Heliux is really hurt!"

"And Layra... er, the clone I mean... I don't know how much more of Drago's torture she can take.  Wait- if the clones put up the shield, that means they can undo it.  And if they're working for Drago..."

We both finish the sentence at the same time. 

"Find Layra."

We race around the perimeter of the colony and find her using purple magic at the shield's base.  I stop her by launching a Light Bomb, a sort of attack.  Sylveon gathers a pink aura around her and Pikachu's cheeks spark, both of them ready for battle.

"Don't even pretend that you're the real Layra, because we know that you aren't," Ash sneers.  "So show your face, Drago!"

The clone of Layra fades away and I hear shrieks behind me, signalling that Heliux's clone has disappeared too.  They probably think he really disappeared.  Poor fairies... 

A voice sounds from behind me, sounding like a low growl.  I see the silhouette of Drago standing in the center of camp.  I approach it cautiously, and other Light Fairies spot it and gather around as well.  They all stand behind me and Ash, however.  Pikachu hops onto Ash's shoulder and Sylveon growls aggressively as we stand before the Dark Leader.

"So," he says dismissively.  "You've figured it out."

Ash's expression turns cold.  "Of course we have, you evil-"

"That idiotic spirit told you," Drago remarks.  "I've punished him for it.  You'll receive a similar one if you don't stop speaking such deranged nonsense."

That makes Ash go quiet.

"As I'm sure many of you have seen, the imbalance is spreading in my favour.  You may look up at the sky and you will see nothing.  There are no stars, no space, no matter, none of it.  The universe has been destroyed.  The moon is gone, blown to ashes.  The sun will soon follow- and once that happens, the Earth will die.  But have no fear!  Things will only be like that momentarily.  For after this second of blackness, a new universe will start to expand again.  A Dark universe.  A place where Light Fairies, as you can imagine... are not welcome."

I don't even blink.

"So where does this leave you?" Drago asks.  "Well, I'm giving you all some options.  Option A: your Leader comes with us, and the rest of you will be left alone for the rest of time until you all die.  Option B..." he gives a wicked smile.  "Well, I don't think Option B is as appetizing as the first one, let's just say, although it will definitely be fit for my sophisticated palette.  So what will it be?"

"I'll go," I say instantly.  I walk apart from the Light Fairies and Ash, who look so shocked and scared for me.  I have exactly zero intention of letting Drago birth the Dark Universe.  I can protect myself.  I don't want anyone else to get hurt because of this.  Besides, once I save Heliux and Layra, it will be easier.

A hand pulls me back.  It's Ash.  "Please, Serena, you don't know what you're doing!" he pleads.  "I beg you, don't leave.  Don't leave me again."

My heart fills with sorrow.  I walk back to him and touch my forehead to his.  "Don't cry," I whisper.  "It'll be okay."

I pull away from Ash, but more voices pop up, all begging me to stay.

"Serena, stay!"

"We'll be stronger together!"

"You can count on us!"

"Let us help you!"

"Serena," Bonnie cries, "please.  I can't go on without my big sister."

Big sister... even though we're not actually related I can still picture myself being Bonnie's big sister.  "I'm sorry everyone... you are all brave and brilliant fairies.  But only I can bring this imbalance to an end."  

One way or another.

"Option A then?" asks Drago.  He walks up to me and holds out his hand.  "Take my hand and I'll take you to the place you need to be."

Very vague, I think, but I take his hand anyways-

My arm is snapped behind me, and I let out a scream as I hear the bone crunch within me.  I feel a hand on my throat, Drago's hand.  Except it's not Drago's hand... not anymore.  It appears the clone was just someone in disguise.  And that someone...

That someone is Alain.

I can catch a glimpse of his cold eyes, but I can catch a glimpse of guilt, and fear.  Mostly fear.

"Alain... please..." I choke.  "Ash... Sylveon-"

And then the sky comes in on me.  The black void that was the sky becomes my body, my heart my soul.  It feels like I'm floating.  I feel confused until I realize what is going on.

I'm dead.

Yes this is where I'm ending the chapter.  On a cliffhanger.  Mwah hah hah I am evil >:3

Well I hope you enjoyed this chapter... er, one way or another.  

Pokemon Sword and Shield came out on Friday!!  Have any of you started playing it yet?  And, to top it all of, the new Gen 8 Anime is coming out!!  Episode 1 is already on YouTube.  I won't spoil anything except that it's really interesting ;)

Anyway see you all in the next update everyone, stay tuned!! :)