Chapter Fifty-Two

Start from the beginning

Before I knew it, she was telling me to stand and look in the mirror. I gaped at what I saw. She had curled my hair, pulling it back into a messy but elegant bun at the base of my neck. On the right side of my head, there were two braids leading to the back of my head before they disappeared into the bun. Along with the braids on the right side, there was a piece of curled hair, hanging down to frame my face.

"It looks amazing, Mio, thank you so much," I gasped, turning my head from side to side, taking it all in. She smiled at me, her eyes shining. "Why?" I asked, turning around to face the women. She cocked her head at me, looking confused. "Why did you take time out of your wedding day to do my hair?" I asked. "This is probably one of the most important days of your life, and you took the time to do my hair. I could have just left it down, and it would have looked fine." She gave me a small smile, putting her hand on my shoulder. I looked at her in questioning.

"Your father told me your mother never had the chance to do something like this," she said. I frowned, confused as to what she was getting at. Her next words were shaky as she spoke. "I figured we could try and get some bonding time in before the wedding," she said. "I never had my mother do my hair; we didn't have a good relationship," she explained when I looked at her with even more confusion. "I didn't want you to feel the same way I felt, never having another woman in my life that I could go to." I could tell she was getting choked up now, and I didn't want her crying. If she starting crying then I would cry, and we would both be a mess. I threw my arms around the woman in a tight hug that I reserved for the most important people in my life.

"Thank you, Mio," I said simply. Her arms then made her way around my waist, hugging me back tightly. After a few minutes, we broke apart, both of us slightly teary-eyed but smiling.

"I know I can never take the place of your mom, and I don't wish to, but I'll always see you as my daughter," she said, her voice waving, probably afraid of what my response would be. I didn't have the words, too overcome with emotion, so I threw my arms around the woman, pulling her into another strong hug. This hug lasted for a few minutes before she pulled back and held me by shoulders at arm's length. "Alright, enough crying," she said through a laugh. "We'll have more time for that later, but now we both need to finish getting ready." A different look passed over her face, and I narrowed my eyes. "You better get ready, your dad has a surprise for you," she said with a wink as she left the bathroom.

I stood in shock for a moment before stepping out of the bathroom, watching her walk down the hall. "What the heck is with you guys today?" I called to her. "This is supposed to be your day, not mine!" She only laughed and disappeared into her room. I sighed and shook my head before making my way to my room to do the finishing touches on my makeup and get dressed.

For the wedding, I had picked a (F/C) dress that had spaghetti straps and met in a v-neck. The top was cinched at my waist before it transitioned into the knee-length skirt with was flowing but not overly so. The best part about the dress was the fact that it had pockets. I strapped on a matching pair of wedges before leaving my room and making my way down the stairs.

I stopped halfway down the stairs as a familiar voice reached my ears. I frowned as I realized who it was. What is he doing here? My curiosity getting the better of me, I finished descending the stairs before entering the kitchen where the voices were coming from. Standing in the middle of the kitchen was the last person I expected to see. It was Ryuji, standing in the middle of the kitchen making casual conversation with my brother and dad. All three men were swathed in expensive-looking suits. They all looked very nice, but I was too shocked and confused to acknowledge that fact and take the time to compliment them.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. All three men paused their conversation as they turned to look at me.

"Wow, someone's happy to see me," Bon said with mock hurt on his face. Without a word, I approached the boy and threw my arms around his middle. His arms snaked around my waist, and I felt a kiss being pressed to the crown on my head. When we broke apart, she held me at arm's length as he looked me up and down, causing me to blush heavily. "You look amazing," he said shamelessly. I heard my brother snicker as my face no doubtly turned the color of a tomato even through my makeup.