A Lifetime

The heart monitor beeped in the same rhythm. She hummed quietly to herself. She felt so weak, just laying there in the bed. Her eyes look around the room to see if anybody else was there but of course there wasn't.

She lived her life to the fullest, managing to live long enough to see her great grandchildren. She chuckles at the thought. She silently let out a prayer.

"Mom."

She turns her head to see Jeongja walk in, tears in her eyes. "Why are you crying baby?" She asks, but her voice was very weak.

"I just...I just want you to stay longer," Jeongja sniffles. "Everyone is on their way here. Happy 70th anniversary ma."

Jeongja kisses Hosook's head, knowing she was slowly dying. Hosook smiles at her. "Thank you baby. Your father's coming right? The fool tends to forget our anniversary," she laughs.

"He's coming," she holds her hand, chuckling at her mom's funny remark. She wipes her tears.

"Grandma."
"Great grammy!"

They both turn their heads as they see Soohyun, Junghyun, and the kids walk in, followed by Sunhye and Baekhyeon. Hosook's eyes then notice Cheonsa in Baek's arms, curled up. "Hello sweet peas," she sniffles.

"Grammy, what's wrong?" Hoseok walks to her, attempting to get on the bed. "Are you still sick?"

"I am, sweetie. But don't worry, I'm going home. I'm just going home." She cups his cheek with her veiny hand, a warm smile on her face.

She then looks at Junghyun, smile growing bigger. "I'm so happy someone like you exists. You snatched my little girl off her feet. I never liked that other one, he didn't treat my Soo as the princess that she is."

"Men like you are hard to find nowadays. At least that's what I hear," she chuckles. "Take care of Soo for me please. She means a lot to me."

"I'm here, love!" They all turn their heads as Yejoon and Eito walk in, which Eito was dressed in a tux and held a bouquet of lilies, her favorite. "Happy anniversary."

"Honey!" She laughs, covering her face. The kids looked at him and smiled. Even though they've been together for 7decades, he still looked at her with so much love in his eyes. "You dummy, taking forever."

"Well I had to look nice for my beautiful wife," he leans in and kisses her. "I couldn't forget our anniversary."

"Say that to our 16th anniversary. You forgot that we had a date and you showed up late," she laughs. They were all taken aback at how she remembered something so long ago. "Oh. I'm gonna miss you so much Eito."

"Don't say that, Hosook. You're gonna live to see another day, you're not dying."

"I am. My cancer's getting worse and I am dying. You saw how hard I vomited the other night. It was so terrible. And I'm practically bald at this point," she palms her face.

"Ma you're gonna get better I know it," Jeongja tells her, clutching her hand. Yejoon holds her, knowing how close Jeongja was with her mom.

"Grandma, you're not gonna die. I know you're not," Soo says, tearing up. "You're not dying."

"I am. You know I am, Soohyun. Like I said before, I'm just going home," she lets out a long breath, looking at the kids. "Hey. Come here for a moment."

All eight of them climb onto her bed, slightly confused. She gives them a smile. "I know for sure, you're all going to do something meaningful when you grow up. I know that whatever you do, you'll make someone smile and proud that they know you.

"I'm going to let you kids know that this world can be so mean sometimes but you're gonna have to push through. I know that people have been so cruel to you just because you're hybrids. The first hybrids in our town, back home, they were called the most horrible names.

"My family were the only ones that treated them with kindness. So if anybody tries to hurt you and make you feel bad about yourself, still be kind," Hosook says to them. "Protect your little sister with all your heart as well. I'm so happy I've lived long enough to see you kids."

"Grandma, does this mean you're going to the clouds? Like Minhyuk?" Namjoon asks, tears falling.

She nods. "I'm going home to Minhyuk. I'm going to see my good boy after all this time."

"Hosook."

She turns her head to look at a crying Eito. "Don't cry for me, Eito. You know I'll be waiting for you there. Listen to me, okay? You gave me the best of me, so you give you the best of you. I don't want you to be a grumpy old man just cause I won't be here anymore. I've already lived my life to the fullest."

She holds his hand while cupping his cheek with the other, wiping his tears. She smiles at him, happy to have met him and have this family that surrounded her. She was so tired, so tired as she takes one glance at the tattoo on her hand. She remembered that day, with him.

Now everyone was crying, seeing the oldest matriarch dying in front of their eyes. Everyone was heartbroken that she was leaving. With one long sigh, she closes her eyes. She became limp as the monitor flat lines.

"Grammy?" Jimin calls to her.

It was so bright and windy. With brown eyes, she looks around to see the golden meadows that surrounded her. She smiles as she notices her hand wasn't as veiny as it was before, her tattoo of the pomelia flower.

She gets up as her once gray hair was now fully brown. She walks around before hearing a small voice. Tensing up, she turns her body to see a small boy with brown hair running to her.

"Granny!!" He screams as he jumps into her arms. "Granny, granny!"

"Minhyuk!" She cries, hugging him tightly. "My baby."

He was the average height for a almost 6 year old but his brown locks were longer. He smiles at Hosook, a smile that resembles to Soohyun.

"Did you see mommy before you came here? Mommy's okay right?" He asks, jumping in joy.

"I did. Mommy's getting better," she holds his face, tears falling. "I missed you Minhyuk."

"I miss you too granny. I have a baby sister right? I told mommy when she was sleeping. And-And I told Uncle Jungie too! They were happy right?" He asks.

"They were so happy. So happy," she leans her forehead towards his. "Mommy misses you."

"I know. I wish daddy was so mean because I could be with mommy and Cheonsa! And I could've saw my other brothers! And Hera!" He whines. Hosook chuckles at him.

"One day, you'll meet them. One day."

"Lets go to the farm now Granny! I was so lonely without anyone here and so I'm happy you're here!" He smiles at her.

{Author-nim: I just wanted to write something both wholesome and a little sad. Hopefully y'all like this and because I'm losing ideas to keep going, drop some requests? It's been so long since I've done that but yeah, drop some ideas. Have a lovely day/night💜}