Chapter 7 Redux: Rise & Fall

Start from the beginning

She finishes her speech as Y/N, who's visibly exhausted approaches them.

Ruby: There you are.

Y/N: R-Ruby?

Ruby: (grabs Y/N's hand and drags her to the door before turning back to wave at Jaune) Have a good night, Jaune!

Y/N: (timidly turns to wave at Jaune) G-Good night.

Jaune watches the pair enter their dorm room as he pushes himself off the ground with newfound energy. He grabs the knob, preparing to face his team, but his Scroll beeps and he pulls it off of his side to open it, seeing Cardin's contact relaying a message.

Cardin: (on-scroll) Hey! It's your buddy Cardin! I know you're probably busy with that Dust project I gave you, buuuut I'm gonna need you to go out and get me a bag of Rapier Wasps. (as Jaune makes a terrified sound in response) And make sure they've got some really big stingers It's important, so don't screw this up!

Jaune closes his Scroll just when it begins to beep again. Sighing, he wearily heads down the hallway and away from his room.

Meanwhile, both Y/N and Ruby are left face-to-face with one another in their dorm's living room so they wouldn't disturb the rest of the team, who are all resting peacefully in the bedroom. The silver-eyed girl looks on at her heavily fatigued teammate in concern as she soon speaks up in a much more serious demanor from her usual cheerful attitude.

Ruby: Y/N...

Y/N: I already told you, I'm fine.

Ruby: You're not fine! I know you've been trying to hide it but I can tell you haven't been sleeping well lately.

Ruby: I've been hearing you talk in your sleep and lately you've been crying a lot too.

Y/N: I-It's just a recurring nightmare.

Ruby: That can't be it. (listing off the signs of her teammate's weakening condition) The frequent headaches. The random mood swings. The lack of sleep. All of this has been happening for way too long.

Y/N only looks downcast as Ruby places a hand on her cheek.

Ruby: Y/N, please...just tell me what's going on with you.

Y/N: (sees the image of black chains wrapping around her heart) I...I can't. (forms the biggest fake smile she could muster) There's nothing wrong at all. It really is nothing but a nightmare. I'm so sorry for making you worry about me.

Ruby: Y/N...

Y/N: I'm completely fine. I think I just need a little bit more time to get used to being here.

Ruby: (let's go of Y/N's hands with a sigh while still having a worried expression) F-Fine... I'll trust you on this. I just want you to know that as, your friend and leader, I'll always be here for you, so please don't be afraid to tell me when something's bothering you.

Y/N: I promise. (as Ruby enters the bedroom to sleep) I'm sorry...(Aura slowly radiates as tears start streaming down her face)... I'm so sorry...

Next Day~

Professor Goodwitch along with Team RWBY, CRDL, and JNPR, are seen walking through a forest bustling with red leaves and gray trunks.

Glynda: (to the group) Yes, students, the forest of Forever Fall is indeed beautiful. But we are not here to sight-see. Professor Peach has asked all of you to collect samples from the trees deep inside this forest, and I'm here to make sure none of you die while doing so.