Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

There was a lightness to Zi Wei that Zuer could not place until the youngest Wang finally told her that she was getting married in a few months' time.

Love.

How had she not recognized it immediately?

"Congratulations."

"Thank you", Zi Wei accepted graciously, "I am actually waiting for him right now because we need to see our florist."

"Is he late?"

"No. I really came early because I bought a few books."

Zuer felt her heart stop at the mention of a book. It trigerred the memory of another book, the one that was written about all of them. She had to mention it, now.

"Zi Wei... about the book..."

"Ah... yes. Uhmmmm... the truth is there is something I wanted to talk to you about other than all that happened before which, I believe, we already put behind us."

"Did you want to talk about the book?", Zuer ventured nervously.

After all these years and despite how wonderfully Shen Yue had written that book, she still knows that what she and Feiyu did, hurt a lot of people – two of them she had loved deeply once before.

Her husband's anger may continue to burn for the Wang Family (especially for Wang He Di) but Zuer would always think of them with a twinge of guilt because she knows that she was the one who put everything in motion.

It was her carelessness and her thoughtlessness that caused so many people an immeasurable amount of pain.

"I do", Zi Wei responded, "I read that book actually."

She felt beads of sweat start to build up on her temple even though it was pretty cold inside the restaurant. She didn't know what to say next but Zi Wei, it seemed, was not done speaking.

"I just want you to know that whatever happened in the past, I am sorry for the pain I may have caused you."

"You're...", she could not believe it, "You're sorry?"

Zi Wei moved her head in the affirmative. "I've been trying to look for either you or Feiyu so I could talk to you and let you know this."

"Wha... Why are you sorry? You shouldn't be Zi Wei. Feiyu and I were more at fault."

Out of everyone who was swept up by that storm years ago, Zi Wei was the most innocent.

She had not even done anything to spite Zuer or hurt her when she had all the reasons to do so – just like her older brother.

She isn't the one who should be saying sorry.

"We were all at fault back then", the other woman told her, "We caused each other pain and for that, I apologize. That book made me understand a lot of things I was blind to when all of this happened."

"Still, I should be the one apologizing to you – "

The Wang Heiress raised a hand to stop her from continuing. "There is no need for that Zuer. The last time the both of us talked, you have already told me how sorry you are."

"I continue to be sorry Zi Wei."

"I know... believe me I know more than you think I do."

That peaked her interest. "What do you mean?"

She then found her hand wrapped in the other woman's hands. "I am sure Shen Yue would have wanted to be the one to tell you but since you are here and we are already talking, I want you to know that I have met Yue and we've become friends."