Chapter Nine: Supergirl

Depuis le début

"If anyone," Black Canary said, "we should have 'believer' over here ask the questions." She gestured to Huntress. "She can see the truth for herself."

Huntress smirked. "Alright. Let's see how 'truthful' your lasso is."

Wonder Woman wrapped the Lasso of Truth around my wrists. It glowed to the touch.

I looked to Huntress. "Alright, fire away."

She smirked. "Who are you?"

"I'm Supergirl," I replied instantly.

"Where are you from?"

"Krypton."

"Who is your cousin?"

"Superman."

"What are your powers?"

"Flight, super-strength, super-speed, arctic breath, super breath, heat vision, x-ray vision, telescopic vision, microscopic vision, thunderclap, invulnerability, and super-hearing."

Huntress's smirked grew more prominent. "Who was the last criminal you fought?"

I cringed at this. "Huntress, no."

"Who?"

"Silver Banshee," I answered, not even thinking.

"Enough, Huntress," Wonder Woman said.

"And what happened?" Huntress questioned.

My eyelids squeezed shut. The rope burned like kryptonite along my skin the longer I hold the thought.

Huntress rose an eyebrow. "Well...?"

My eyes opened up again. I glared at Huntress. "I really hate you right now."

"What happened, Supergirl?" Huntress yanked the lasso.

The pain was scorching now. Something inside me wanted to scream. I'd use my heat vision on this lasso; if only it weren't magical. "I lost." Suddenly, a weight was lifted off of me. The burning sensation ceased, but my stomach grew uneasy. "Is that what you wanted to hear? I lost! I lost to a stupid metahuman! I'm not good enough for National City, or even Superman himself!" My eyes started to water up, making my vision blur. I felt the lasso unwrap around my wrists.

"She was truthful," Wonder Woman confirmed, "she told me earlier."

Huntress smirked. "I know. I heard all about it from Lois Lane's report."

"SG loses to a meta?" Harley asked, "never thought it could be possible."

Batwoman turned to Harley. "Shut it."

Batgirl stormed over to Huntress. "Really? You really had to go there, huh?"

"We needed to make sure the lasso worked, right?" Huntress replied, "and from what we saw, it worked!"

"You could've stayed with the basic questions."

"We have to dig deep in order to see if the lasso worked!"

Batwoman shook her head at that.

Huntress huffed. "Well, you got what you wanted, okay?" She shook her head. "My God."

Batwoman took the lasso and wrapped it around Harley.

"Hey!"

"We need answers," Batwoman responded, "now."

"Yer treatin' me like Huntress did ta SG," Harley insisted, "I thought you guys were against that!"

"If we aren't, we won't get answers out of you," Batwoman replied, "Supergirl is different, and you know it."

Harley scoffed. "Fer bein' heroes, you guys got quite some double-standards."

I frowned at her. "It's just for now."

Harley sighed.

"So, Harley," Batgirl said, "what have you been doing since the music festival a couple months back?"

Harley chuckled. "Really?"

Huntress scowled. "Answer the damn question, Quinn!"

"Okay, okay." Harley sighed. "I've been workin' at the Club of Hearts at nights. I..." Her cheeks grew red. "I'm a fan favorite."

Black Canary scoffed. "Sounded like it when we were back there."

"What else have you been doing?" Batgirl asked.

"Livin' on my own," Harley said, "kickin' ass, takin' names, tryna get my Bud and Lou back, the ushe."

Wonder Woman furrowed her eyebrows. "Who are Bud and Lou?"

"They're her hyenas," Batwoman answered.

"Tryna get 'em back from the people I stole 'em from."

Wonder Woman's eyes widened. "You stole them?"

Harley rolled her eyes. "They were sketchy people, like, almost ta the levels of Mistah J."

"What were they planning on doing?"

"They were gonna use 'em fer dog-fights," Harley said, "I couldn't let 'em do that."

"That's great that you saved the hyenas," I said, "but that's not the question. Is Harley behind the widespread illness or not?"

Harley rose an eyebrow.

"The one that's only been showing in men so far."

Harley shook her head.

I sighed. "The one with the coughs, the pale skin, the chills, the sweating...?"

Harley let out a laugh. It was light, yet had a maniacal pitch to it. She grinned as she laughed.

Batwoman scowled at Harley. "This isn't funny."

"Ya think I'm the one behind it?" She continued to laugh loudly. Tears began to come to her eyes. "Yer barkin' up the wrong tree if ya think I'm the one spreadin' that illness around!"

"Did Joker do this?" Batgirl asked.

Harley shrugged. "Hell if I know."

I looked over to Batgirl. A scowl appeared on her face. I frowned back. It was safe to say that she wasn't getting the answers she was expecting.

"When was the last time you saw the Joker?" Batgirl asked.

"The last time I saw that crazed clown?" Harley replied.

"Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?" Huntress chuckled at her own weak joke.

"Two months," Harley replied, "back at the music festival when I set 'im up. That was the last time I saw Mistah J."

Batgirl's eyes were wide. Her jaw was slightly open. "You...you didn't?"

Harley shook her head. "Nope."

I looked over at Wonder Woman. Her face was straight, with a slight frown. "She's telling us the truth."

A pit formed in my stomach when I looked back at Batgirl. Her jaw had opened slightly. "She is?"

Wonder Woman nodded.